INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/50920#post_18108988 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
Pipd, are you getting more silver grey Dorkings, or another color? Rose comb red ones are on my wish list.

(My phone only lets me put the @ thing after my typing, not before.)[@=/u/95415/pipdzipdnreadytogo]@@pipdzipdnreadytogo[/@]

I have Rose Comb Red Dorkings.  They are gorgeous and I will be breeding them later this spring.
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/50960#post_18119419 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]

I knew you had gotten rose comb red dorkings from MMcM last year. They must have turned out well for you! Are they big or small? Do you have any photos of them?

My redcaps from MMcM have been a disappointment. A lot of them failed to thrive as chicks, but if you count it up to 9 months old, then 10 of the 13 would fall in the "fail to thrive " category. And one lost to a hawk. I lost the only surviving cockerel a few weeks back so now I am looking for a heartier breed to mix my two remaining pullets with. I have read that RCRD is the most likely breed for that. When you eventually hatch yours, I can take a couple of spare cockerels off your hands. The younger the better. Or if you hatch out more than you need, I can take a group of straight runs.

My Rose Comb Red Dorkings aren't from MMcM, they are from Sandhill.  Pretty happy with them.  I've got a couple females and kept the best male.  He looks great!  I'll see if I can get a good pic of them to post.  I'm going to breed him with his girls, and also with some Cream Legbar Hens to try to get blue egg layers with rose combs.  Single combs just don't do great here in the winter.

Oh how stupid of me! I know very well that Sandhill has RCRD and MMM doesn't! I can't wait to see your pictures. They sound beautiful!

Your project sounds great too. The huge comb is probably my least favorite feature of the cream Legbars. My rooster hurt his pretty bad the winter I had him.

Edited to add: with your RCRD male over Legbar hens, you will get sex-linked barring, too, won't you? Bonus!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any Iowa Blues? I would like to get some chicks. My oldest is pursuing his PhD at Iowa State and I would like a little Iowa at my house.The Iowa Blues need some support and I would like to help them out.

Does anyone have any Iowa Blues? I would like to get some chicks. My oldest is pursuing his PhD at Iowa State and I would like a little Iowa at my house.The Iowa Blues need some support and I would like to help them out.

Yes !
We've had them for 3.5 years & love them.
We are working with two breeding groups currently.
Send me a p.m. , & we can discuss them in more detail .

Here's a couple pix I took yesterday :
JB & Brownie

his son jr & a couple of his girlfriends

Fox 59 is interviewing a guy from Gibson county. Family is okay but their property destroyed. First thing we noticed was destroyed hoop coops. The chickens are missing. The teenage boy is running around the fields looking for his chickens.
1f62d.png

Fox 59 is interviewing a guy from Gibson county. Family is okay but their property destroyed. First thing we noticed was destroyed hoop coops. The chickens are missing. The teenage boy is running around the fields looking for his chickens.
1f62d.png
That would be terrible. I was glad mine were in our barn last night when the bad storm went through.

Can the duck keepers clear something up for me?

I've seen conflicting suggestions on feed for ducklings. Some say that an 18% starter or all-flock is fine, (so long as it's unmedicated), but I've seen others that say you need to get down to 14-16%

Anyone care to weigh in?

Back
Top Bottom