INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: I kept the A&M a while, and side by side comparison, we were not able to tell a difference in the meat. They are hard to sex also, unless you hear one crow!

How exciting! I wonder what other breeds that special order contained. I know cream legbar pullets start out like chipmunks.
Wyandottes also have the chipmunk look, and often easter eggs.

Still looking for homes for my older Orp chicks!

All English. All NPIP. All vaccinated against Mareks.

1 black cockerel, gonna be huge, and Cogburn's grandson
1 pair of blues, also Cogburn's grands
1 pair of solid chocolates
2 pairs of chocolate cuckoos

PM me if interested. Will work with you on prices within reason for purchases of multiples.

Mix and match, I'm totally flexible.

I've had lots of happy buyers from the group! @jchny2000 @Mother2Hens @Faraday40 and others whose handles I've forgotten. Also @flyladyrocks .
YES! Beautiful docile Orps, very impressive birds!

Last post today. I'm having a fairly big deal medical test/procedure tomorrow morning, and will happily accept all well wishes from friends and friends to be. It has been a wicked 2 weeks leading up to it. I'm on almost no pain meds, for the test, and it has been brutal. Hit my max pain level a week ago but it's still very bad. DH is taking the day off to tend to me and drive. If it works, I ought to feel pretty awesome for 12-24 hours, but I'm trying not to get too excited. Don't count your chickens!!
hugs.gif
Sending you a hug and prayers. I really hope they help relieve your pain soon.

TSC Anderson has a chock full bantam bin as of this afternoon, marked down to $0.75. That's right, 75 cents each! Looked to be Sebright, OEGB, possibly some other breeds. I HAD to make myself walk away! Bantams just don't do well here with all our hawk and other predator issues. I found a dead mink on the roadway Sunday, which further confirmed some of my suspicions. I have 2 active chicken coops right now. One has been moved, the 2nd will move this weekend. We are moving all the poultry farther away from the creek.

Once my vet picks up the geese I have for him, we will have 7 turkeys, 5 Guinea, 3 Geese, 10 Chickens, 3 Pekin and 3 Muscovy. Its bizarre, sad and almost creepy not to see birds free ranging everywhere.
sad.png
We also keep 6 cows, 4 goats and 1 mini donkey. We have 3 pasture paddocks left to fence, and then my coops/waterfowl will go into the main pasture where my female livestock stay. We plan to leave 2 of the 5 acres as yard, and barn.

Our electric fencing will sure wake you up! Yes, I tested it bare handed and yes, it hurts! We have been using it at least a year now. If it doesn't actually harm me, it won't hurt my critters. I had to know that myself. May sound stupid but I want to know what they experience. DO NOT DO THIS if you have heart issues or a pacemaker! They certainly respect the fence, so do I!
Moose, our Jersey bull has taken on the role of "pasture protector". I am seeing the cows do not like strange animals in the pasture. He ran off a fox this afternoon. I am sure if he caught it, he would have stomped it. My older jersey heifer Dixie was right behind him in the chase. Our goats will do the same thing.

@kittydoc thought I would update you on my now two crossbeaks- sigh.

Today I separated the two crossbeaks form the rest of the chicks. I will still put them all together for play time daily, but they are becoming noticably smaller. Separating them was the easiest way to monitor and make sure they are getting the food they need without having to compete- at least for now. I am putting their fermented feed in the blender to make the pieces smaller. They ate allot quickly- so they are hungry! In watching them I could tell they were having a hard time getting the food before doing this. This has made it noticably (how in the world do you spell that- too tired to spell!) easier.

Yes I have spoiled babies and yes, assuming they make it they will probably lead spoiled pampered lives.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for your help -still trimming weekly- but it is like the bottom tendon is just massively pulling those little beaks sideways! Very different than Jubal.

Oh - and timing is everything - had you written your first post about sales falling through just 3 days earlier I probably would have been all over some of your birds! As it is now I feel like I have my hands full! But chocolate cuckoos - Oh my!

Last edited:
@flyladyrocks Your tendon observation is interesting. Different. May need an entirely different approach but I may well not have what's necessary. Keep them fed but this does not sound promising or like "regular" crossbeak, so it could have an unhappy end. PM me, though! Send photos from underneath and/or sides. Age again. And who/where did you get them?

I kept the A&M a while, and side by side comparison, we were not able to tell a difference in the meat. They are hard to sex also, unless you hear one crow!

Wyandottes also have the chipmunk look, and often easter eggs.

YES! Beautiful docile Orps, very impressive birds!

hugs.gif
Sending you a hug and prayers. I really hope they help relieve your pain soon.
I vent sex mine at 4 weeks.

@flyladyrocks Your tendon observation is interesting. Different. May need an entirely different approach but I may well not have what's necessary. Keep them fed but this does not sound promising or like "regular" crossbeak, so it could have an unhappy end. PM me, though! Send photos from underneath and/or sides. Age again. And who/where did you get them?

I vent sex mine at 4 weeks.
Do you have pics or some type of reference link? I could tell the brown Coturnix easily by feather color between 3-4 weeks, but the A&Ms I couldn't tell until 6-7 weeks old when the males developed that huge bulge behind the vent.

For those of you who have seen my posts some weeks ago about my ailing red sexlink, Skua, I'm horrified to be posting this, but she was taken by a mink today. It was such a sickening coincidence because we had just decided that it was her time, and just as I went out there to get her, I found that. I'm just shocked beyond words. I feel like I failed her after everything she had already gone through. I'm still shaking.

Since it was pointed out by someone on another thread, the mink has been taken care of and will no longer be a problem. It still comes as a shock. In the nearly 12 years I've had my chickens, I've never even seen one anywhere near here. I'm just completely sick over this. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom