INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone have chicken eggs for hatching? I want to let my new hens hatch a batch of chicks. But I want them to hatch eggs we buy to add color to the flock.

Looking for :
-silver laced wyandotte
-golden laced wyandotte
-jubilee
-marans
-polish
-etc.

Basically "yard candy" chickens or Eye catching chickens.

If you have chicken hatching eggs can I see some pictures of the chickens?

My young brother wants to try entering the County Fair Poultry show. And I really want to find him pretty chickens. Instead of buying chicks we are letting our broody hen try to hatch eggs we find. Our hens are RIR's.

@Finnie
a good friend of ours has Speckled Sussex (they're one of her favorite breeds) , & she usually has extra males .
i could check if she has any extras, tho there's a bit of distance to travel to our area

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm afraid that's kind of far for me to go. I grew up in the Detroit area, and my mother and brother still live there, and I have used buying birds up there as an excuse to make the trip to visit them before. So if I get desperate, maybe I will ask you to ask your friend. But for now, I have a line on some near Muncie. I bought 4 straight run two week olds from them two weeks ago, and at four weeks of age, I still have no sign of a cockerel. But She has two left there that look male to her, so if none of mine are, I will go back and get hers. A lot of big IFs.

I'm pretty sure that I have 2 female and 1 male with the quail.
Unless there's a chance those Salmon breasts could still show a little later only 1 has it coming in finally.

Is a 2yr old Rhode Island Red Hen considered old? Will she lay an egg almost every day still?
2 years old is definitely not old for a chicken that can live 7yrs+. However she will probably not lay like she did before her first molt, especially if she was laying almost every day. Some production style birds do come close the second year, i have some hybrid brown layers that are laying well on year 2 (Maybe 4-5/wk), but then they significantly drop off after year 2. One reason for this is that a hen already has all the eggs she will ever lay at hatch, so it stands to reason that if she lays more often, she comes closer to running out sooner and her rate of lay drops off more significantly..

I have 4 phases of chicks in the coop now

12 weeks
9 weeks
6 weeks
And 4 weeks

They all eat the same feed. Will it hurt the older ones to stay on grower/ finisher or change and the little ones start early on layer? Or do I need to keep them apart?

I have 4 phases of chicks in the coop now

12 weeks
9 weeks
6 weeks
And 4 weeks

They all eat the same feed. Will it hurt the older ones to stay on grower/ finisher or change and the little ones start early on layer? Or do I need to keep them apart?

They can all eat the same. Err on the side of higher protein. Since I have turkey poults with my chicks, everybody eats 24% starter, even my adults.

Back
Top Bottom