INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@MrsAuberry00
I have had that too one year. I got mine later in the year than you did but one batch didn't lay until the next January!!!!! Very frustrating, and I wondered if they'd EVER lay.

But they did. Don't give up :)

Last edited:
Oh...don't expect to see any eggs until at least 8 mos old. If they lay sooner you'll be pleasantly surprised!
upload_2017-5-24_11-43-19.gif

They usually do lay by around 6 months old, depending on the breed, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Heritage breeds are often older than hatchery birds.

Oh...
Does anyone here know anything about Sand Hill Preservation? Anyone purchased from them before or know anyone who has? Your experiences?

I've been part of several group purchases with others on this forum from there. The others can give you their opinions. They are not your typical commercial hatchery. They are more like heritage breeders on a larger scale.

Don't expect:
Great communication or any handholding. They breed and raise chickens and that seems to take the majority of their time.
To definitely get your order - They can't always get the hatches they hope for. however, if they can't fill it, they are good about you getting your money back. It took three tries in three years for me to get Mottled Javas from them. I got my Dorkings on the first try.

Do expect:
Good quality birds, at least all of the one's I've gotten have been.

Tip: order early in the fall or late summer for the next year. That will get you to the top of the list for your choices. If you wait till Winter or spring, your chances go down.

@jonesfamily6
I've introduced young chicks to the flock early. My hens do OK with them, but I provide a safety zone in the run where they may eat & drink without being bullied. For the most part, the bigs ignore the littles unless a little one dares to eat from their feed bowl. The littles tend to stay clear of the bigs. My only real fear is from above. Hawks would love an easy snack, so I simply train the chicks to put themselves into the tractor as soon as I open up the chicken run. Until they're 10-12 weeks old, they spend the days in the tractor & the nights in the coop/run. That's the only way I can know for sure that they won't get into trouble. When I feel they're big enough, I leave the tractor door open & they sort of figure it out for themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks @racinchickins
When I read their philosophy I liked what I read. But with not much communication, it's hard to get questions answered about such things :D

I imagine it would be about useless to try to get 2 breeds that I want at the same time this season.

@Leahs Mom I do have have two chicks that remind me of Cali when he was a chick, and thinking about what to do when he (one is boy, one girl) grows up.

ETA: I could only post a pic in the next reply. The boy chick that reminds me of Cali, is the one looking straight forward behind the grey one. Very personable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom