INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

:hit

“2 of my brown chinese this year, Mama is on eggs now”
:love

I wanted to hit both the sad and love on that post, so I had to split it up.

I think so too!

The “male” is a week or two older than the “female”, which is why the size difference. But his behavior- he just walks around mimicking the gander! It’s pretty hilarious, except I’m afraid he’s going to learn Dad’s bad habits. I don’t need two biters!
Start his training early if he is biting. Most young ganders will. Gee is about 12 now, BB (big boy) is 11. When a goose bites I get 1 arm around those wings and one on the neck just below the head. Down we go, I pin them down to the ground. That's the natural interaction geese do to set who's the boss or "alpha". I've only had 1 gander that didn't learn his place over around 45 years keeping them.. He was sold to someone on here for a Christmas dinner. I was very ill when you got them so sadly your gander didn't get proper training.
OH MY! Handsome fella!

So happy 4th everyone! Doubt I'll not be on here much this week, we're on vacation. Want to thank our veterans & founding fathers for our independence.
DD might be downsizing her flocks, she's over in New Paris, OH. Muscovies, several chicken breeds, turkeys and geese. I said no for us lol. It will be way too easy for me to go beyond bird math again! Really miss my Muscovy ducks but I want to camp and fish more. If you're looking for something let me know.
Its not easy to find Muscovy ducks and I just adore the breed. Excellent mothers. My favorite hen Huey raised 17 ducklings on her own. The wrath of that duck if you dared touch a duckling LOL better not! I've got a pic somewhere she was a very good mom.

i

I think so too!

The “male” is a week or two older than the “female”, which is why the size difference. But his behavior- he just walks around mimicking the gander! It’s pretty hilarious, except I’m afraid he’s going to learn Dad’s bad habits. I don’t need two biters!

I really Love Nero. Massive huge animal but so gentle too. I'd love one of those sanctuaries to take him I would do that for him. He's a very good boy just too big to breed. Been researching it in hopes to find something for him. He deserves better than being hamburger. I keep delaying this. Has me to not want to keep cows anymore.

Start his training early if he is biting. Most young ganders will. Gee is about 12 now, BB (big boy) is 11. When a goose bites I get 1 arm around those wings and one on the neck just below the head. Down we go, I pin them down to the ground. That's the natural interaction geese do to set who's the boss or "alpha". I've only had 1 gander that didn't learn his place over around 45 years keeping them.. He was sold to someone on here for a Christmas dinner. I was very ill when you got them so sadly your gander didn't get proper training.

OH MY! Handsome fella!
Ok, I will try this with the young one. I wonder if it’s too late to try it with the 3 year old. If he starts to stalk me, I stalk him back until he runs away. He knows I will roll him with my foot if he gets too close. I give him a little leeway during breeding season since I know he’s doing his job to protect his mate, and now his children.
So happy 4th everyone! Doubt I'll not be on here much this week, we're on vacation. Want to thank our veterans & founding fathers for our independence.
DD might be downsizing her flocks, she's over in New Paris, OH. Muscovies, several chicken breeds, turkeys and geese. I said no for us lol. It will be way too easy for me to go beyond bird math again! Really miss my Muscovy ducks but I want to camp and fish more. If you're looking for something let me know.
Its not easy to find Muscovy ducks and I just adore the breed. Excellent mothers. My favorite hen Huey raised 17 ducklings on her own. The wrath of that duck if you dared touch a duckling LOL better not! I've got a pic somewhere she was a very good mom.
Your daughter doesn’t happen to have my original pair of brown chinese, does she? I would buy them back in a heartbeat if she did.:love

I could also use a spare brown male, because I don’t think Gisela is really bonding with the white gander I bought for her. She tolerates him, but always seems to want to get back to the other pair. I have both pairs penned separately and free range them on alternate days. She spends most of her time hanging around their fence.

Ok, I will try this with the young one. I wonder if it’s too late to try it with the 3 year old. If he starts to stalk me, I stalk him back until he runs away. He knows I will roll him with my foot if he gets too close. I give him a little leeway during breeding season since I know he’s doing his job to protect his mate, and now his children.

Your daughter doesn’t happen to have my original pair of brown chinese, does she? I would buy them back in a heartbeat if she did.:love

I could also use a spare brown male, because I don’t think Gisela is really bonding with the white gander I bought for her. She tolerates him, but always seems to want to get back to the other pair. I have both pairs penned separately and free range them on alternate days. She spends most of her time hanging around their fence.
Your original browns live here. shes on eggs! I will not give them up!

Your original browns live here. shes on eggs! I will not give them up!
That’s awesome that she’s on eggs! Good luck!

I had 3 broody hens sitting on 24 green chicken eggs, sharing a coop. I thought last Tuesday was the due date, but I guess I was wrong, because 21 of them hatched over night and this morning! 3 died, so now the 3 hens are sharing 18 chicks.

Letting them share is sometimes a disaster, but this time so far so good. They are 8 month old pullets that grew up together and all 3 are black, which I think made them bond together more than with their non-black hatch-mates. So then when 1 went broody, they all went broody.

That’s awesome that she’s on eggs! Good luck!

I had 3 broody hens sitting on 24 green chicken eggs, sharing a coop. I thought last Tuesday was the due date, but I guess I was wrong, because 21 of them hatched over night and this morning! 3 died, so now the 3 hens are sharing 18 chicks.

Letting them share is sometimes a disaster, but this time so far so good. They are 8 month old pullets that grew up together and all 3 are black, which I think made them bond together more than with their non-black hatch-mates. So then when 1 went broody, they all went broody.
oh my broodies! I'm excited for you. All i have right now is 4 comets and a mutt rooster.

Back
Top Bottom