INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey guys! :frow

welcome new friends! Yes we are still here!
Wanted to share my experience with JM Poultry in Cambridge City as promised. They dont talk much or offer ideas/suggestions. I used to do all my own processing ourselves. Health issues well that isn't happening anyymore. Was pleased overall. I took in 102 cornish cross our family raised and pastured ourselves. We let them go out 10 weeks. HUGE healthy birds, still very tender. Average weighed 6.3 lbs finished! The chicks came from Meyer hatchery in Ohio. I bought all roosters, some of the 10 extra sent were 4 hens! Of course we kept the hens.
So far have bbq and stewed; no toughness very pleased. They are very polite but speak few words, this is an Amish family. Ask the questions like cut up, whole, bags or no etc. They really do not offer info, you fill out a form at drop off.

Last edited:
Hey I'm from brown county does anybody know where I could get some 6 month old silkie hens from? I'm willing to drive 2 or more hours or it might be possible to get them shipped maybe

This weekend was the state fair in Springfield, IL. DS decided to bring his computer science project. He designed and coded his own video game. Competition was tough because each kid was already champion from his/her county. Most of the computer science kids were in high school so he was very excited to win reserve champion. Not bad for an 11 yr old!
IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1073 (2).jpg

Other misc. pics:

IMG_1046.jpg

My kids like the 'Conservation World'. (They got to try archery, BB gun, rock climbing, fishing, etc.)

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1067.JPG

Hey y'all! I haven't been around in a while and I thought I'd stop by.

I'm on my fourth flock of hens in about 10 years. My first lasted about two years I think, and was partially absorbed into the second. That group was around until the flu wiped them out. The third group I had for a while, they were production reds plus a few random hens that my sister had to give up. A raccoon got most of them in one night. My current flock is the four hens that survived the raccoon, plus another 7 random breeds that my daughter and I bought as an impulse/rebound purchase after the raccoon incident. We got them late spring of 21, and most of them we got for a dollar each at Rural King.

So now I have one huge RIR, three ISA browns, two BLRW, a lavender orp, an americana that lays lovely blue eggs, a sapphire gem, a midnight maran that goes broody at the drop of a hat, and a coumbian wyandotte who's always trying to fly up to my shoulder. They're a pretty bunch but they don't lay eggs particularly well. We've named them all after Harry Potter characters, so they'll probably be around until old age gets them. I'm already starting to plan the next flock, even though it's likely a few years away.

I jokingly told my wife yesterday that I'm going to buy 24 White Leghorns. She said, "That won't be very pretty." and I said, "I'm going to have a snow drift of chickens." In reality, I'll probably mix up some leghorns and some ISAs, and who knows what else. Right now I'm enjoying having a healthy happy flock that also manages to lay a few eggs in their spare time.

The only real problem I have is mice living in the coop. I've tried a couple of different kinds of traps, but not being able to use anything the hens might get into is a bit limiting. I have a bucket-lid trap but I can't convince the mice that they'd prefer the bait to the free chicken feed that they're currently getting. Not sure yet what to do about that.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for reading. Unless you didn't. In that case, thanks anyway. ;-)

:frow Good to see you posting again, Hoosiercheetah! Sorry about your losses and mouse difficulties, but it sounds like you have a lovely flock! As far as the mouse issue, all I can suggest is to pick the chicken feed up at night. The chickens won't be eating at night anyway, so it doesn't need to be down where the mice can get to it. Unless, of course, your girls are spilling a lot of their feed and feeding the mice that way, in which case you'll need to rethink their feeder setup to prevent that.

Also, welcome, Ktine! :frow I'm way up north of you, but there are plenty of southern Indiana folks who pop in every now and again, too.

Back
Top Bottom