INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh no. How tragic. I'm so sorry for your losses. šŸ˜„

:hugs sorry for your losses

:rant rotten predators

My condolences to you. We had a fox take one of our girls last year in the middle of the day. Snapped her neck immediately and ran off with her. We were able to prevent it from eating her by scaring it off but she was long gone. Never did catch that fox but haven't seen it since

Oh no. Sorry to hear that, I know how heart breaking it is. :hugs
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
If you are still looking, I saw this Craiglist ad selling mostly males, but also some females in Rushville.
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/d/rushville-muskovy-ducks/7578336047.html
I believe that @Chaneys Ranch ā€™s friend went to get those ducks on Monday. :thumbsup

So I finally found a brown gander for Gisela. Someone was selling their whole flock as a group, and just on the off chance that it would work, I messaged her and said that I would be willing to buy just the gander if another buyer only wanted the females. She said she would keep my number. That was 10 days ago. About a week later, she messaged again and said that she actually did have someone who only wanted the females!

So now I have GĆ¼nther the second. ( @Chaneys Ranch has GĆ¼nther the first and I love the name so I wanted to reuse it.)

0BB3943A-C4CB-4944-9BA8-E733241AA7AB.jpeg
C9574399-FF0E-4E0C-9056-C747C8DAC3FB.jpeg
3A5A0035-ACDA-43B1-A028-F36DAC7925A3.jpeg

He is supposed to be full African. And while he has no dewlap, he is so massive compared to all my previous geese, that he may well be African.

I just hope he pairs with Gisela and not the white gosling. More and more I am thinking that one is acting like a female. I hope to get a white mate for ā€œherā€ once Iā€™m positive.

:hit

Iā€™ve had a goose tragedy. Iā€™m so mad at myself. I havenā€™t locked my goose flock up at night for months now because I thought they were safe behind my electric fence. Itā€™s 5 strands of hot wire.

But something came last night and killed 3 out of my 5. Probably the fox weā€™ve seen passing through a couple times this week. I thought the fence was keeping the fox out. I should have known better. And whatā€™s worse, I was supposed to lock them up last night because I had a buyer coming this morning, and if I hadnā€™t forgotten to do that, they would all be alive now.:hit

I have my brown goose Gisela left and one of the goslings. The gosling is favoring its right leg. I imagine it got hurt trying to run away from whatever was killing itā€™s parents and sister. My poor poor babies. From now on I am locking them up at night.
I am so sorry :hit
Hello, new guy here! I am looking for people that sell/breed Buff Tolouse, Super African, and unusual hybrid geese. I will check the dedicated Goose forum as well but wanted to check here as Iā€™m in Aurora, IN.
Have a good one!
Welcome to our thread! :frow I am a 3rd generatiion "goose mom" Could not be with out a flock.
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I believe that @Chaneys Ranch ā€™s friend went to get those ducks on Monday. :thumbsup
Yes the did, he is still looking for Scovy hens, ducklings or hatching eggs.
So I finally found a brown gander for Gisela. Someone was selling their whole flock as a group, and just on the off chance that it would work, I messaged her and said that I would be willing to buy just the gander if another buyer only wanted the females. She said she would keep my number. That was 10 days ago. About a week later, she messaged again and said that she actually did have someone who only wanted the females!

So now I have GĆ¼nther the second. ( @Chaneys Ranch has GĆ¼nther the first and I love the name so I wanted to reuse it.)

View attachment 3379281View attachment 3379282View attachment 3379284
He is supposed to be full African. And while he has no dewlap, he is so massive compared to all my previous geese, that he may well be African.

I just hope he pairs with Gisela and not the white gosling. More and more I am thinking that one is acting like a female. I hope to get a white mate for ā€œherā€ once Iā€™m positive.
He's gorgeous and yes thats a "hatchery African" my Big Boy aka BB looks identical.

So guys, whats your favorite birds?
Is it chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, pheasant, ducks , geese, swans, peafowl, Emu, Ostrich or even quail?!?
I'll start! :caf

What birds were your #1 favorite?
Geese! Most of my life. Runner up, Muscovy duck & true Mallards.
What have you kept?
I've had all the above but Swans and Emu/Ostrich types.
What didn't work out well?
Turkeys and Pekin derived duck breeds. they consume way too much feed for the yield in return. We grind our own feed and even then their cost is so much higher than other birds.
What would you like to keep someday?
Emu and swans.
Lastly Just for fun, add your ideas, or dont answer certain questions you prefer not to. Its ok to share other livestock preferences too.
I love my cows and have kept goats several years.

So guys, whats your favorite birds?
Is it chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, pheasant, ducks , geese, swans, peafowl, Emu, Ostrich or even quail?!?
I'll start! :caf

Geese! Most of my life. Runner up, Muscovy duck & true Mallards.
What have you kept?
I've had all the above but Swans and Emu/Ostrich types.
Turkeys and Pekin derived duck breeds. they consume way too much feed for the yield in return. We grind our own feed and even then their cost is so much higher than other birds.
Emu and swans.
Lastly Just for fun, add your ideas, or dont answer certain questions you prefer not to. Its ok to share other livestock preferences too.
I love my cows and have kept goats several years.
I'm a little biased because all I've kept are chickens but...chickens. and at most 10 at a time. Ive kept golden comets and barred rocks but the golden comets lead to heartbreak as they didn't last long. I'd like to keep jerseys just for meat in a separate coop and rabbits for meat. Sheep for meat and wool

I'm a little biased because all I've kept are chickens but...chickens. and at most 10 at a time. Ive kept golden comets and barred rocks but the golden comets lead to heartbreak as they didn't last long. I'd like to keep jerseys just for meat in a separate coop and rabbits for meat. Sheep for meat and wool
Comet are very high egg producer for about 2 years. Love your plans!
When I mention Jersey I mean milk cows sorry.

We have Hereford now and I'll say this..Everyone is about Angus cattle. I've seen too much injury and even the calves Angus are aggressive. Love my Herefords 100% and I'm so glad they are gentile

Comets are a huge layer and at 2 years about. At that point they are stew hens or keep them as pets. Im so sorry the hatchery didn't explain this to you. i love them too but when laying stops its time.

Last edited:
I meant jersey giants not cattle. I don't have enough land for cattle.
Comets are a huge layer and at 2 years about. At that point they are stew hens or keep them as pets. Im so sorry the hatchery didn't explain this to you. i love them too but when laying stops its time.
We didn't get them from a hatchery. It was sorta like: do you want chickens? Yes let's see what tractor supply has :idunno all but one died

I'll play!

Chickens. Love many breeds but big fat fluffy English Orps are my fav. Son loves Appenzeller Spitzhauben & Daughter is a Silkie fan. Throw in a few seramas, a piano-playing Modern Game Bantam, and a feisty, 7 yr old Sebright who is the top hen
laced orps in snow.jpg blue orp.jpg GG.jpg
IMG_2714 copy.jpg 1674186649504.jpeg 1674186702642.jpeg IMG_2862 (2).jpg IMG_3429.JPG

What have you kept?
Only kept chickens with occasional (seasonal) quail & turkeys (2-3 at a time)
Hatched:
chickens (big orps & Bielefelders down to tiny seramas and many breeds in between), ducks, quail, turkeys. Love to hatch!! - best when we do it for others

Love-Hate relationship with turkeys. Cute poults, annoying and hysterical antics, great flock protection, they eat a lot, can be bullies to the chickens, and taste delicious. Every fall I'm counting the days until their departure. But spring hits and I soften, then decide to hatch some again.
IMG_2121 copy - Copy.jpg

Rabbits. I had a Flemish giant as a kid. Also some Netherland dwarfs.
Maybe.... Maybe... If I had the property.... trying a few goats or sheep.

Back
Top Bottom