Indiana Chicken People (list)

Hi all. I'm from Griffith, IN. I'm looking forward to meeting other Indiana people and learning lots about chickens. I've been a member for about 2 months and have been kind of lurking.
Looking forward to learning alot about the care of my chickens...
Now if only I could do a blog.....(kind of computer inept)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Is there a thread for people in Indiana who are looking to buy/trade chickens and eggs? I realize there are "wanted" and "for sale" threads, but they're not limited to folks in Indiana.

Anyway, I live in Greenfield. We're about 25 minutes east of Indianapolis! I'd love to make some chicken-loving friends. If I had someone else to talk to, my husband wouldn't have to hear me talk chicken 24/7! I am a mother to one 4-year-old daughter and a set of 6-month-old identical twin daughters.

I am seeking some laying hens or well-started pullets. I'm also looking to sell/trade some mixed breed chicks.

I thought I had posted here, but I guess not.

I'm in Hobart. Not too far from zoo357!

No chickens yet, still working on getting my husband to agree! I'll be looking to get 4, thinking 2 EEs and 2 Orpingtons. I need to call our local feed store and see if he still has chicks and what he has. Other than that, I have no clue where I'd get them from. I don't want to risk ordering because I don't want to deal with roosters.

Quote:
I have gotten pullets in the mail before and out of 26, not one was a rooster. I think you have just as much chance of getting a rooster from a mail order hatchery as you do from the feed store. Feed stores can even be worse because people handle the chicks and put them back in different bins. The downside is that hatchery shipping is pricey.

I'm thinking more about the stories of the mail order hatcheries putting in "extras" for warmth. Even though we should be past the freezing point, but with NW IN weather, who knows?
wink.png
A woman I used to board my horse with ordered 10 pullets and got 15 males in addition to it...

The feed store down the street has a cage of chicks, another of ducklings, and another of turkeys. I haven't called yet to see what he even has.

eta: I called and he rattled off a bunch of names. No Buff O's, has straight run Aroucanas.

Last edited:
Brumstead, we ended up driving over an hour to get our Buff Orps because we didn't want 25.
Where did you call? I heard there is a place in Hobart but don't know the name or location.....
HHMMM, now to not let the DSO know I'm looking again
lau.gif

Karp's Feed Store aka Hobart Hatchery. I'll PM you the info. The owner is awesome. I've dealt with him for horse feed since we moved here from IL 5 years ago. He also breeds rabbits for 4H kids.

Back
Top Bottom