Indio Gigante journey

Sadly while cooking and allowing the chicks to enjoy the heat of the spring here, I heard my dog snarling in the backyard only to find him fighting with a coyote that had broken into our yard. He made out with one of our chicks and injured another one however the injured chick has since recovered and is doing well after i've treated it.

I've since reinforced the fence it managed to scale and re-equipped my dogs spike collar, I ask you keep the chicks in your minds.

Sorry you lost a chick. Hope the reinforced fence keeps your flock safe from further attacks. :hugs

Sorry you lost a chick. Hope the reinforced fence keeps your flock safe from further attacks. :hugs
The fence reinforcements seem to have worked wonderfully! We’ve had a few visitors along the fence line since our last post however nobody managed to get in!

Also our injured chick mentioned in the last post has fully recovered after a vet visit and some time in isolation they are once again with their flock! However we found she may have a limp for the rest of her life I however prefer this over losing her any day

In other news! The tall odd little chick I thought to be a cockerel decided to show his true colors seemingly overnight revealing he is in fact a HE! Attached is an image of our little guy named “Titan” his face is beginning to lose his feathering, his comb is the most red and he is the HEFTIEST of all the chicks these are all tell tale signs of a young cockerel Indio gigante! Soon I’ll be sharing a video of him running about in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 9
The fence reinforcements seem to have worked wonderfully! We’ve had a few visitors along the fence line since our last post however nobody managed to get in!

Also our injured chick mentioned in the last post has fully recovered after a vet visit and some time in isolation they are once again with their flock! However we found she may have a limp for the rest of her life I however prefer this over losing her any day

In other news! The tall odd little chick I thought to be a cockerel decided to show his true colors seemingly overnight revealing he is in fact a HE! Attached is an image of our little guy named “Titan” his face is beginning to lose his feathering, his comb is the most red and he is the HEFTIEST of all the chicks these are all tell tale signs of a young cockerel Indio gigante! Soon I’ll be sharing a video of him running about in the coop.

Glad to hear your injured chick is doing well (even with a limp). That video of your little guy is cute, he's so alert!

Pardon how dark the images are, we’re sitting in the shade to beat the heat, here are 3 images of some of the chicks! The lovely little cockerel is featured as well they are all beginning to really warm up to me and lose their chick fear going as far to jump up into my lap!

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    815.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 7
I guess the beak is just fast growing for a chick. If you have a dremmel tool just trim the beak, if not a trick I learned is to get a flat rough brick/tile and put some treats on there and then the chick will trim its beak with the rock. pretty chicks!

No updates as of today however the chicks are doing well and very social with me! I've also noticed I started posting these lovely chicks after they were quite a bit older! so please enjoy this video of the chicks when they were still young and merely exploring the outside

Boy is it starting to warm up out here! But the chicks love the heat and spend a lot of the day basking in the California sun enjoy these pictures of my lil guys and galliformes

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg