Individual nest boxes v communal box

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
I'm (I use that term loosely :lau) just about to build our hanging nesting boxes off the back off our current coop. I am constrained by the top of the triangle wall on that end to a width of 80cm. I was originally going to do 2 separate nesting boxes but now I'm thinking they all use the same box anyway (I've actually taken the 2nd tub they are using away as it was never used!) whether I'd not be better just making one big box that they can all lay in with the opening in the centre in effect giving them a laying area at each end.

anyone have any thoughts on the benefits / drawbacks of both systems?

Also do you prefer the lid lifting up or side dropping down on a hanging nest box?

TIA knowledgeable people! :D

I offer several nesting boxes for my hens. It does seem that they all use the same few boxes! I'd keep the option of multiple boxes open for the hens-even if they are not using them for now.

I have an exterior nest box that can be sectioned off into 3 separate nest boxes but I haven’t done that. I just left it as one big nest box and my girls all like to lay on the left side of the box.

Thanks - I think I'll go with the big one and I can always add extra doors and walls later! I think they'll just be happy to have a proper box instead of a pink tub on the floor of the coop!

I built one large nest box, I have room to partition it if needed. As far as top or side opening. I went side since it's easier to keep the roof on it weather proof. Mounting height has a lot to do with it also. I wouldn't build a nest close to ground level with a side door where I had to lay down to get the eggs. It's subjective to what you build. Each has its pros and cons.

Thanks both, will be seriously considering the roll out system for my main coop when that gets built!

The rain thing does worry me as there is no over hang that side but I could cover the split for a top opening with tar paper/roofing felt (which is what I have on the rest of the coop).

I prefer a drop down side. As a previous poster noted, it's easier to keep the roof sealed from leaks since there's no seam to leak. Also don't have to lift up or prop up the roof to gather eggs. Mine is partitioned, but I'm not sure it really matters although one of my two hens prefers one side and one prefers the other. We'll see what happens when the four pullets start laying in a few weeks.
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG

I built my nests so I could access them form outside but never use them, I prefer to walk in the coop. I don't think you have that option. Whether you go with a raise the lid, hinge at the top to open down, or hinges on the side is mostly for your convenience. I don't see how anyone can argue it matters to the chickens but on this forum you never know. :oops:

I would want to be able to look in the nest before I stuck my hand in there. On more than one occasion I've found a snake in the nest. While touching a snake when you expect an egg instead may instantly get your heart rate where your fitness trainer would be pleased, I'd rather forego the pleasure. Also a hen may be on the nest. I'd want to know petty early on so I can maybe keep her from flying out if that lets her out of her run/coop area. So my top criteria is will you be able to see inside by looking forward or down.

Is there something about the way your coop is built that may make installing hinges a certain way better or worse? That could be something to mount the hinges to or something blocking you from fully opening the door?

Will you hold the door open with one hand and restrict your ability to grab and such to one hand?

You do not want the nest to leak rainwater. There are techniques to manage that no matter which opening you prefer.

80 cm is around 32 to 33 inches. My nests are 16" wide so I have a reference. I think I'd build two nests. My reasoning is that when you pop open the door to get the eggs if you do not have separate nests with separate doors you may startle a hen off the nest and let her out. As long as she is not locked out of the run and coop, no big deal. A narrower door might be easier to manage that.

As always a lot of personal preference. But I'm overthinking it as usual to try to think if some practical reasons you may prefer one over the other.

RR makes a good point that I forgot to mention. I always open the coop/clean out door and make sure there is no hen in the nest box before I drop down the nest box door. They don't mind me opening the coop/clean out door to look in when they're in the nest box, but they sure don't like it when they're in the nest box and the drop down door is opened.

Back
Top Bottom