Infected bantam nostril? PLEASE HELP!!! EMERGENCY! WITH PICS

Thank you soo much for everyone's help. I just wanted to add something I saw today that might be of importance. So this morning I wake up to Lacey making a weird gawking noice and I figure she's calling me because they ran out of water but when I get there it's still half full. So i shine a light to get a closer look and I see a bubble the size of her eyeball, on her eyeball (on the same side as the afflicted nostril.) Then Lacey sneezes pops the bubble and forms another on the afflicted nostril. So I don't know if this should make me lean towards sinus infection or nose crust so I was wondering if you guys had any extra advice now knowing this small extra detail. Also, depending on which one it is should I bring the girls inside? Seperate them? Bring them to a vet? I have some antibiotics that she has taken before for a previous injury and I was thinking of giving her a daily doses. Then again I'm not vet but I doubt I could afford one or I would of taken my little Lacey days ago... Any imput would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Thank you soo much for everyone's help. I just wanted to add something I saw today that might be of importance. So this morning I wake up to Lacey making a weird gawking noice and I figure she's calling me because they ran out of water but when I get there it's still half full. So i shine a light to get a closer look and I see a bubble the size of her eyeball, on her eyeball (on the same side as the afflicted nostril.) Then Lacey sneezes pops the bubble and forms another on the afflicted nostril. So I don't know if this should make me lean towards sinus infection or nose crust so I was wondering if you guys had any extra advice now knowing this small extra detail. Also, depending on which one it is should I bring the girls inside? Seperate them? Bring them to a vet? I have some antibiotics that she has taken before for a previous injury and I was thinking of giving her a daily doses. Then again I'm not vet but I doubt I could afford one or I would of taken my little Lacey days ago... Any imput would be much appreciated thanks guys.
Can you post some updated pictures? Did you inspect the inside or her mouth? What antibiotics do you have?

-Kathy

P.S.... had a Belgium D'Anver with almost the same symptoms recently - basically a bad sinus infection, bubbles, some head shaking. It resolved, but the scab remained and my son removed it one day - no big deal. I think we swabbed some antibiotic ointment, but other than that, no meds, and rest of flock was fine. Just a plain 'ole cold. Keep us posted.

I found this interesting webpage:

http://en.wikivet.net/Avian_Sinusitis
Introduction
Sinus infection can occur in any psittacine but is particularly common in imported grey parrots. It was largely thought to be associated with a diet deficient in Vitamin A however there is now some controversy surrounding its contribution to the disease[1] [2].
Signalment

Hypovitaminosis A is a nutritional deficiency thought to predispose birds to sinusitis [1]. This can occur if the bird is fed and all seed diet, which is deficient in vitamin A, iodine and calcium, therefore it is essential that a full dietary history is taken. Vitamin A deficiency causes some cells to differentiate abnormally. This occurs in the sinus, where the epithelial lining degenerates into squamous metaplasia. This causes the mucus to thicken, thus preventing debris from being flushed out of the sinus. This results in a build-up of debris and bacteria, eventually resulting in infection[3]. This deficiency can also contribute to the development of and rhinoliths, abscesses and conjunctivitis. Currently it is thought that sinusitis may not occur as a result of vitamin A deficiency as many parrot diets now have an excess of Vitamin A[2].
Clinical Signs

Early clinical signs include sneezing, proptosis and clicking. Later, swelling may develop around the eyes or between the eyes and beak over the frontal signs. Excessive secretion of serous or mucous material from the respiratory mucous membranes is often reported. It is common for the bird to be suffering from concurrent disease such as pneumonia and air sacculitis. Respiratory distress may be evident, however this should be observed in a quiet stress-free environment for reliable interpretation. Clinical exam is often better performed under general anaesthesia as the choana should be examined for any spread of infection.
Diagnosis

Clinical signs coupled with the history of a vitamin A deficient diet should be suggestive of sinusitis, however needle biopsy of the swellings is required to make a definitive diagnosis, as it allows for the differentiation from abscesses. Cytology, culture and sensitivity should be performed on the aspirated material to determine the presence and nature of infection. The most common infectious organisms are Pseudomonas and Mycoplasma species. Radiography of the skull can also be performed to confirm the presence of sinusitis.
Treatment

Ideally the bird should be treated with the antibiotic 'Baytril' (enrofloxacin) as it covers the above-mentioned bacteria. Additionally the bird should receive a dose of Vitamin A by intramuscular injection. Subsequent dietary supplementation of Vitamin A by feeding orange and dark green vegetables is necessary to prevent recurrence of infection[3] [1]. Drainage and flushing of the sinus with antibiotics in severe cases is recommended by some [2] but due to the anatomy of the sinuses and the nature of the inspissated pus produced, others report that it is normally unsuccessful[1]. If rhinoliths or choanal abcesses are present they should be removed using a needle or dental instruments.
Prognosis

If the dietary deficiencies are addressed long term then infection is unlikely to recur. Therefore, if the bird recovers well from the original episode of sinusitis the prognosis is good.
References

1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Lawton, M (1999) Management of respiratory disease in psittacine birds In Practice 1999 21: 76-8
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 Stanford, M (2009) Respiratory Disease in Birds Royal Veterinary College Integrated Course RVC
  3. 3.0 3.1 Forbes NA & Altman RB (1998) Self-Assessment Colour Review Avian Medicine Manson Publishing Ltd

Hi. I just wondered if you ever resolved the clogged nostril issue in your sweet hen? I have a 9 year old silkie bantam whom I love dearly, and she possibly has the same problem. It it a chunky, porous substance which stinks like death. Like someone else posted, it almost seems grown into her flesh. She is happy and eating, but does have labored breathing. I have been removing some of the stuff and making an opening everyday for over a month. After opening, I put antigungal on it- helps slow growth. I am now giving her Tylan 50 antibiotics orally which eggcessive, a fellow poster, recommended in another thread. It actually seems to be drying it up.
Please let me know what you have found out and how your girl is doing;)

Back
Top Bottom