Infected Toe very swollen Help

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
I have a Rooster in the last 4 weeks his toe is very swollen to the point it weeps blood. The toe nail, whats left of it is black other than that I do not see whats happened. I dont think its Bumblefoot I do not see anything on the pad of the foot. I took some pics. I have tried soaking in Epson salts, sugar and iodine for 2 weeks no help. I tried using a syringe to see if I could draw something out but I did not find a good place. Any help will be appreciated. TLH

43038_mvc-004s.jpg

43038_mvc-003s.jpg

43038_mvc-002s.jpg

Have you tried to incise it and then drain??.. then put neosporin, then sugar and iodine wrapped on with gauze and tape.?

If it doesn't ooze infection when you incise it, then it could be a cancerous growth... that's when I'd think about putting him down.

Can he do his job with that huge thing?

Poor fellow!
20.gif

Where is the blood weeping from?
Is it warmer that the rest of his toes?
Does it hurt? Will he walk on it?
Is the nail (or whats left) loose?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Is his behavior normal?

If its warmer than normal it could be a bad infection or major inflammation. Weeping tends to point toward infection. I would put him on antibiotics ASAP (injectable if you can get it) as with that much swelling if it is infected it must be affecting him systemically and that's a big problem.

Hi, The weeping is all over the toe just tiny pits like it is so swollen its pushing the blood out. It is warm and hurts. He wont walk on it and not the nail is not loose. He eats and drinks OK. I am trying to save him if I can because other than the toe he seems healthy and I always give my chickens a fair chance a life if at all possible. I don't think I can get an injectable antibotic would I have to call a vet and see if they would sell me some? I would try and open the toe up so I could try and take some pressure off but I can't find a place to cut. TLH

If you can't get injectable you may get some from the feed store. Find a knowledgeable person there (not all are--or some only think they are) and explain your problem and get a broad spectrum one. You can at least get one for the water if none are available by injection.

With the size of the infection that I'm observing,(the whole foot) it's possible the infection is/has worked it's way up your roosters leg and spreading, in which case I dont believe any amount of antibiotic could help. Perhaps if you had treated sooner you couldve stopped it. You stated it's painful, and he wont walk on it... I agree with Mahonri, you should consider putting him down.

I guess the pics are not very good - it is just the one toe. All the others are fine, the leg is no swollen at all and the pad of his foot is not involved. I did get some antibotic for the water for another chicken from The Chicken Doctor so I have been putting that in the water but it has not helped. I will see what I can get today that might help. TLH

Hi, My Chicken with the infected toe is not getting any better. Does anyone know what this might be. I have not been able to get my hands on any injectable antibotic, none of the vets in my area know a thing about chickens. What kind of antibotic do you think would be the best I am going to call some of the towns around me. Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help. Terri

Just a shot in the dark--take the pictures and a very descriptive letter of what has transpired this entire time and email it to a veterinary university--more than one would be best. Be sure to tell every antibiotic you used , the soaking, the general health of him and ask if they have see this and can identify what is going on and perhaps offer a treatment. I'm thinking since no one (so far) on this web site is certain what is going on with all of the cumulative experience it may be a rare occurrence and they'd be interested. Other than a fast growing growth or huge local infection I cannot offer any other ideas.

injectable Pen G Procaine is dosed approximately .4 cc (just under 1/2 cc) for a 7-8 lb rooster given for 7 days. I got this from a simple Google search.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4745
Look at the Bumblefoot treatment (even if it is not it may help if its an infection) :
http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

You could try wrapping it with heavy gauze soaked in apple cider vinegar. If it is infected, it will bring it to a head, making it easier to drain.

Back
Top Bottom