Infrared heat lamp 50w or other suggestion

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
I have some chicken and quails in the incubator but realized that I only have one heat lamp...
I'm looking to buy those infrared heat lamp bulbs wondering if 50w is enough for the chicks
I have a heating pad that I'm thinking about convert into mama heating pad
But I'm wondering if there are cheaper or more energy efficient options

Thank you

I just got baby chicks back in August, for the first time ever. I got 16 day old chicks. I did my research, and read lots of reviews. And I went with the Rent-A-Coop heating plate. I bought one that was way too big for what I needed. But it worked beautifully for me. And it used a LOT less electricity, compared to heat lamps. I bought heat lamps, just in case, but never needed them. I will suggest getting the no-roost cover for it though. It will save you a lot of time cleaning poop off the top of it. It's definitely worth the extra money.

Attachments

• 20220923_230236.jpg
    20220923_230236.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 6
On Amazon, 100w Ceramic Heat Emitter bulbs aka reptile bulbs which are much safer than Red Infrared are indeed slightly cheaper. I will always recommend mama heating pad first and foremost, but if not in the cards, ceramic bulb before the Red fire starters that don't allow dark time for chicks (another benefit of ceramic.) I wouldn't be me if I didn't add this thread. 🤓 http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update Good luck!!

I used a brooder plate and turned it into a facsimile of a Mama Heating Pad. The chicks loved it and they feathered out super fast, since they were acclimated to the ambient temperature much more quickly. For reference, they were raised in my garage during November. It's heated, but only to about 60 degrees. The brooder plate cave was about 100 degrees, and they were able to run up under it whenever they got cold. When I moved them into the coop I moved the brooder plate cave with them, and sometimes when it gets into the negatives a few will crunch up under there, but I was very happily able to avoid any heat lamps or worries about chilled chicks.

Back
Top Bottom