Inheritence of Peach

Wouldnt one in theory, be able to combine 3 ,4, or even 5 colors into one also. If you had the time, bird, and luck??

The spalding bronze purple midniht silver pied blackshoulder could be a project

Quote:
Call it "Cameo Midnight." With other species, names given to phenotypes are based on genotypes. Things get confusing when people come up with new names for something that is really a combination of two other "somethings." That's why the peafowl society got rid of "Oaten" and instead lists "Cameo Blackshoulder."

In cockatiels, if you combine the Whitefaced mutation with the Cinnamon mutation and the Pied mutation....they call it "Whitefaced Cinnamon Pied." No secrets as to how they got a white bird with brownish markings and no orange cheek patches -- it's spelled out right there in the name.

I was thinking Cameo-night

Quote:
In theory, yes, one peacock could be genetically homozygous for all mutations, but that would take decades from start to finish. Also, keep in mind what the single mutations do, and what they might do together -- if you're trying for a new combination, you won't know for sure what it will look like, and how to spot one if you hatched one. And if you were able to get all the color mutations into one bird, it will probably look like a dirty white. Think about it -- putting together mutations that reduce depth of color with others might make everything variations of pastels. Such a bird would be valuable genetically -- a peacock with the genes from all color mutations could be penned up with a hen of each color, and hatch offspring that are visual to the hen's color -- but might not be much of a beauty itself. Another option is having birds that are split to bunches of colors breed together. Then, in one clutch, you could potentially hatch Bronze, Purple, Midnight, etc. In parrot species with many mutations in captivity, pairs that are split to multiple mutations are often used by breeders for pet stores, so that a lot of variety can be available for selection from a small number of clutches -- instead of selling one clutch of each color.

If I had the capacity to try this, I'd look at what colors are available, see how they differ from normal IB, and try making complimentary crosses. Bronze and Midnight are both darker than IB, but in different ways. If those two different ways could be turned on in the same bird, you might get something darker than either. And both these colors are fully iridescent, so the offspring should be as well -- maybe you'll get shiny almost-black peafowl. Or perhaps Purple and Jade would work well -- the Purple color seems brighter (based on pics I've seen on the web) in Spaldings than in IB, so perhaps these two together would give a brighter purplish color.

You won't know until you try.

smile.png

ETA -- If I can offer another piece of advice, I'd say avoid Blackshoulder when making first-time combinations. The females will have so little color that it would be hard to distinguish them, especially since their color varies among regular IB hens (probably since so many have various amounts of green blood in their background). Once you know what a new combination looks like, then you can try adding Blackshoulder.

Last edited:
Quote:
Charcoal is not iridescent, so I think that wouldn't be "shiny." I think that a Midnight Bronze Blackshoulder Spalding would be about the darkest "shiny" peacock you could put together. If you started with high percentage spaldings in Midnight Blackshoulder and Bronze Blackshoulder, you could get there more quickly than if you started with IB and tried to breed the combination into spaldings. But with the problems I keep hearing about with the Charcoals, I wouldn't even try a long-term breeding project with them (unless it was to select for better vigor in Charcoals).

:)

You could name or call them any color you wanted some of you are doing it now so what's the differents? almost makes me not won't to raise them anymore.

Ricky

I saw a peafowl that the owner called 'coral' -it was purchased -actually hatched from peach but this specific bird retained slight iridescence in the train and on the upper neck- and was much darker -like almost the colour of primary wing feathers of a green peafowl -lovely bird but I haven't seen many peach peafowl since they were first described. How can a peach be iridescent?

Peafowl selectionists are resembling the selective breeders ofBeta more and more. For the longest decade -the mongrel 90's a bunch were working in the selective breeding of random koi level. It seems as if the concentration is there but the collective effort has some growth ahead of it.
But if one or two breeders flood the market with their culls and the people that procure said stock are not geneticists- and Manny Moreira has grown out of peafowl I think- well you end up with lots of confusion and muddy birds. Peafowl breeders are unusual . You have to acknowledge that there has probably never been a more cooperative, easy to get along with cluster. They really work well together.

Quote:
Betta breeders have a better understanding of the different genes responsible for the phenotypes in their aquaria, publish information on how the genes work and interact, and hone their art in bringing them together in pleasing combinations based on knowing what will work with what, and how to get there in breeding. I asked a question about applying the same basic concept to peafowl breeding, with explanations of how it would work, and was accused of "speaking Greek."

roll.png

Back
Top Bottom