Injured day old chick :(

Xpops

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Hey everyone!

I just picked up a bunch of day old chicks, and it appears one of my leghorns may have been injured during her travels...

I read a few posts about slipped tendons but I'm not sure if that is my issue, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Compared to the right leg, I don't feel anything abnormal, out of place, or inflamed. I can manipulate/stretch the leg gently and it doesnt seem to bother her. She can move it, but struggles to get it under her body so that she can standup/walk. She kind of just shuffles around the brooder :(

Do you think it's repairable? Will she need to be euthanized? The fact that she can move it around, and doesn't appear to be in distress, maybe just means she needs to rest up and regain some strength?

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_101137.jpg
    IMG_20230425_101137.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 182
I'm sorry to hear that your little one is struggling.

I would keep her warm and hydrated, supplementing with electrolytes (such as Hydro Hen, which is what I use for my chickens), and monitor her progress.

I hope she gets better soon! :hugs

Hey everyone!

I just picked up a bunch of day old chicks, and it appears one of my leghorns may have been injured during her travels...

I read a few posts about slipped tendons but I'm not sure if that is my issue, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Compared to the right leg, I don't feel anything abnormal, out of place, or inflamed. I can manipulate/stretch the leg gently and it doesnt seem to bother her. She can move it, but struggles to get it under her body so that she can standup/walk. She kind of just shuffles around the brooder :(

Do you think it's repairable? Will she need to be euthanized? The fact that she can move it around, and doesn't appear to be in distress, maybe just means she needs to rest up and regain some strength?

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
It looks to me like spraddle leg. I had that with one of my chicks I hatched.

Take a disposable straw and cut a piece out of it that is about the length of the distance apart her legs should be. Slide the cut piece of straw onto a chenille stem and wrap one end of it around her good leg. Gently pull her other leg to it and wrap the other end of the chenille stem around it so that her legs are basically tied together with the stem with the straw in the middle. Cut any excess chenille stem off and make sure that the pointy ends don't scrape or poke her.
IMG_0088.JPG

If she can't stand up like this, line a coffee mug with paper towels and place her in it under the heat so that it keeps her standing up. Of course you will need to take her out frequently to make sure she's getting food and water.

Starting tomorrow, take her splint off and see how she's doing once or twice a day. If her leg keeps sliding out again, splint it and wait until the next day.

I'm sorry to hear that your little one is struggling.

I would keep her warm and hydrated, supplementing with electrolytes (such as Hydro Hen, which is what I use for my chickens), and monitor her progress.

I hope she gets better soon! :hugs
I agree, make sure to give her electrolytes!

Hopefully this helps your little one! Mine was healed in a few days, but some can take longer if it is a worse case.

Thanks for the input everyone! After posting I continued my research, and came across splayed leg as well. I've already got her in a cup under the heat lamp to help stabilize the leg, until I have someone home to help me tie them together.

@bristolsouth I like the straw/pipe cleaner idea, and may be able to do that one myself!

I'm off to raid the kids craftbox, and will keep you all updated!

Cheers,

Oh! I would be weary of the cup idea. With the splints on, she can still move in and out of the heat as she needs to. Id be afraid she won't be able to control her temp in the cup.

Oh! I would be weary of the cup idea. With the splints on, she can still move in and out of the heat as she needs to. Id be afraid she won't be able to control her temp in the cup.
That's true. I forgot to mention that. My chick was very weak and could not stand up without it. She would topple over and stay on her side or back. Putting her in the cup kept her upright while I wasn't around to help her. I was home all day the next day, so I was able to help her most of the day. Once she had her strength up I let her stay out of the cup. I'm glad you mentioned that.

So, @Xpops, once you have the splint on, if she can stay up right and move around fine, I would avoid the cup.

Back
Top Bottom