Injured goose - advice please?

bokbokbwark

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 15, 2018
Hi! My sweet goose Jane (mixed breed, nearly 2 years old) suddenly can't stand up or walk, but she can swim. I'm guessing it's an internal injury - maybe dislocated hip? because she seems perfectly healthy otherwise - good weight, clean vent, clear eyes, alert, eating, not lethargic or weak, normal poop. It's affecting both her legs, one more than the other. No obvious inflammation or wound, and she can still paddle. She was trembling (with pain?) after trying to stand up, but seemed to feel better after a minute of lying still.

Is it safe to leave her in the pond? She's not being harassed and I think she would prefer to stay with the flock. I lifted her out of the pond, but she very deliberately flopped herself back in and seems much more comfortable there. I've put plenty of food beside the pond, and she's eating well.

Is it likely a vet could help her? I don't have an avian vet nearby, and I fear the stress of the experience might do more harm than good.

Thank you! Really appreciate any advice or thoughts!!!

Is she moving her hip? Limping? Or is she keeping it still?
I think she's keeping her hip still. She moves her feet to paddle when she's in the pond, but when she tries to stand up outside the pond she flops down again - mostly she doesn't try, just stays sitting down.

How long has she been like this?

Did she suddenly go lame or did she appear to have symptoms before? Any leg trembling or limping? Even very subtle signs count.

What do her droppings look like?

What feed is she on?

She is not safe in the pond. Eventually she will get water logged, tired, chilled, and drown. If she can’t stand up she can’t preen and dry herself off properly and can succumb to exposure.

I would take her inside somewhere she she can get dry and remain warm and dry.

She could have an injury, it’s hard to say, she could also have some sort of viral or bacterial infection affecting her neurologically. Clostridium species can have similar effects, like low exposure to botulism or even C. Perfringen toxins and spirochetes can do strange things to the body.

A tumor near the sciatic nerve can cause lower body and leg paralysis.

Too large of an egg can also press on the sciatic nerve and cause temporary paralysis.

Vitamin and nutrient deficiency can also be a cause.

If it’s a spinal injury or stroke many times they can recover given time and care.
If it’s an infection it’s best to know what the cause is but if a vet isn’t an option you can put her on an antibiotic.
For clostridium species and some spirochetes Tylosin and metronidazole used together are very effective at treating a wide range of species, however clostridium releases more toxins into the body as they die which can be deadly in high enough amounts, using activated charcoal around a half hour or an hour after administering antibiotics can help to scrub some of the toxins out of the digestive tract. There is also an antitoxin to clostridium toxins but that can only be obtained from a vet.

How long has she been like this?

Did she suddenly go lame or did she appear to have symptoms before? Any leg trembling or limping? Even very subtle signs count.

What do her droppings look like?

What feed is she on?

She is not safe in the pond. Eventually she will get water logged, tired, chilled, and drown. If she can’t stand up she can’t preen and dry herself off properly and can succumb to exposure.

I would take her inside somewhere she she can get dry and remain warm and dry.

She could have an injury, it’s hard to say, she could also have some sort of viral or bacterial infection affecting her neurologically. Clostridium species can have similar effects, like low exposure to botulism or even C. Perfringen toxins and spirochetes can do strange things to the body.

A tumor near the sciatic nerve can cause lower body and leg paralysis.

Too large of an egg can also press on the sciatic nerve and cause temporary paralysis.

Vitamin and nutrient deficiency can also be a cause.

If it’s a spinal injury or stroke many times they can recover given time and care.
If it’s an infection it’s best to know what the cause is but if a vet isn’t an option you can put her on an antibiotic.
For clostridium species and some spirochetes Tylosin and metronidazole used together are very effective at treating a wide range of species, however clostridium releases more toxins into the body as they die which can be deadly in high enough amounts, using activated charcoal around a half hour or an hour after administering antibiotics can help to scrub some of the toxins out of the digestive tract. There is also an antitoxin to clostridium toxins but that can only be obtained from a vet.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Goosebaby! That is super helpful. I've taken her out of the pond, now she's on dry bedding under shelter, separated from the others by wire so she doesn't feel alone. She's managing to stand leaning against a hay bale and preening herself constantly - I can see you were right about the waterlogging!

I found her like this about 4pm today (it's now 10pm) - she was fine in the morning. No limping or any symptoms at all before. Droppings are greenish-brownish, maybe a bit loose but not outside the usual range - her feathers are clean. She's been eating hay, wheat, and layer pellets ad lib, with cabbage and clean mown grass when I can get it. They are housed due to bird flu, and they don't much like the layer pellets. I'm not sure if she's laying - there are 3 geese and I found the first 2 eggs for this year yesterday.

It sounds like there are quite a few possibilities. A nerve issue or stroke does sound plausible based on the way she seems so uncoordinated but without a clear injury. She is quite fat and unfit due to being housed - would that make a stroke more likely? Or maybe an egg problem - I think I remember hearing that they can have issues with the first eggs of the season?

I'm hopeful given she seems to have recovered somewhat already. So I think I'll let her rest overnight and see how she is in the morning... Should I isolate her more completely in case it's an infection? (I imagine if it is, the others would already have it too, since they've been living so closely together - and I don't want to stress her further.)

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Goosebaby! That is super helpful. I've taken her out of the pond, now she's on dry bedding under shelter, separated from the others by wire so she doesn't feel alone. She's managing to stand leaning against a hay bale and preening herself constantly - I can see you were right about the waterlogging!

I found her like this about 4pm today (it's now 10pm) - she was fine in the morning. No limping or any symptoms at all before. Droppings are greenish-brownish, maybe a bit loose but not outside the usual range - her feathers are clean. She's been eating hay, wheat, and layer pellets ad lib, with cabbage and clean mown grass when I can get it. They are housed due to bird flu, and they don't much like the layer pellets. I'm not sure if she's laying - there are 3 geese and I found the first 2 eggs for this year yesterday.

It sounds like there are quite a few possibilities. A nerve issue or stroke does sound plausible based on the way she seems so uncoordinated but without a clear injury. She is quite fat and unfit due to being housed - would that make a stroke more likely? Or maybe an egg problem - I think I remember hearing that they can have issues with the first eggs of the season?

I'm hopeful given she seems to have recovered somewhat already. So I think I'll let her rest overnight and see how she is in the morning... Should I isolate her more completely in case it's an infection? (I imagine if it is, the others would already have it too, since they've been living so closely together - and I don't want to stress her further.)
Contagion is possible, I can’t say if it is or not, she could be the first to show symptoms, if it is the right thing is to isolate her, but the others probably would have it by now also.
I would restrict her contact from the others anyway just so she doesn’t get picked on.

Are you sure she’s fat? Have you felt her keel? Layer pellets tend to be very low in protein, and the calcium mixed in can bind nutrients which can lead to deficiency.
If you can I would suggest switching to 20% flock raiser and if they need extra calcium provide oystershell or eggshells free choice.

Last edited:

As for strokes, it’s usually a result of physical trauma or illnesses (some viruses) so I doubt it’s from being out of shape.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom