Injured hen - predator or clumsy cockerel, not sure

dreamofwinter

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
Downeast Maine
Just need to vent! I have a Barred Rock hen who has refused to molt and has just gotten more and more threadbare as time goes on - bare elbows, mostly bare back, only lightly feathered anywhere else and with ragged, sunbleached feathers. Now as if it isn't bad enough that she's half naked in the Maine winter, I discovered a large tear on her back. I have to suspect my enthusiastic young Chocolate Orpington cockerel - he's not mean, but he's huge and horny. Blaze is one of the top hens and resisted his advances for a while but lately has let him mount her. Based on the location of the wound I'm suspecting one of his claws tore her open (he has no spurs yet, he's only 7 months old). Alternately it could be from a predator, I suppose - I did find a kill spot nearby where an unlucky blue jay met its end.

I feel terrible, as I just discovered her wound this afternoon, and looking at it it's at least half a day old and more likely is from yesterday. We were out late last night and didn't check on the chickens from about noon onward (automatic door puts them to bed), so it could have been from as early as then.

It's a 2-3" tear, skin only, from behind her shoulder down along the side of her back. The more I write, the more certain I am it's from the cockerel. What would you guys do? Keep the other naked hen away from him and let him continue to practice with the well-feathered hens? Separate him entirely until he grows up and gets some coordination? He's a good boy, tidbits like he cooked the stuff himself, watches for predators, etc. Just huge and dumb is all.

As far as Blaze, she's not shocky at all (another reason I believe it's an older wound). I cleaned it out well with saline, picked out any foreign material, and drenched it first in Vetericyn and then smeared triple antibiotic on it. I had a pullet with a similar wound (from a fox) who healed well with this treatment, so we'll see how she does. She's luxuriating in the mudroom in a hospital pen and will get to miss our severe cold snap later this week, lucky girl.

Anyhow, yeah, mainly venting. Why does this kind of stuff only happen to your best layer? Why are cockerels such idiots their first year? Why does my Lavender Orpington cockerel think gloves are hens? Wait, that's whole other post 😆 😆

Do you have any pictures of the whole hen and a close-up of the wound? I would keep treating the wound as you are twice a day. It sounds as though you know that the cockerel may need to be separated for now, but I would see how it goes. I would keep the hen separated but still make her familiar to the rest, so they don’t forget her.

She's doing well today. In fact if I didn't know she had a huge open wound I would never guess - she's eating, drinking, making a mess of her hospital pen, and complaining about being confined. Blaze is one of my top-ranked hens and probably could get away with being in the flock with an injury, but I'm keeping her out anyways - at least until this thing grows back some skin, which I hope it will.

Here are some admittedly bad photos.
First, the whole hen as requested. You can see that she forgot to molt, darn production lines, and has instead been laying eggs all darn winter even though I live at the 45th parallel and don't have them under lights. Take a break, lady!
20230131_150206.jpg

Now, to photos of the wound. If I had caught it right when it happened, and if I had suture materials on hand, I would have attempted to stitch it. By the time I discovered her the edges had dried. I washed it out as thoroughly as I could last night and have been spraying it with Vetericyn three times a day and also putting on Neosporin. Looking at these photos, I think I need to grit my teeth and clean it more. I never used to be squeamish!

20230131_150244.jpg

20230131_150246.jpg

It extends up under her wing about another 3/4". My biggest concern is that the sagging skin has made a small pocket at the bottom of the wound - this is what I'm being sure to flush out as often as I can and to prevent from sealing off and turning into an abscess.

I've seen a lot of scary wounds on BYC and it seems like folks have pretty good outcomes. Chickens are tough. Do y'all think she'll be able to grow skin back?

The tissue should eventually granulate in with the edges of the skin coming together. I would not be too aggressive cleaning, but just spray it with saline or mild wound spray, and dabbing on the plain antibiotic ointment. If any infection occurs, then you can use 2% chlorhexidene.

The tissue should eventually granulate in with the edges of the skin coming together. I would not be too aggressive cleaning, but just spray it with saline or mild wound spray, and dabbing on the plain antibiotic ointment. If any infection occurs, then you can use 2% chlorhexidene.
Thank you! This is only the second really big wound I've dealt with. The first healed like a champ, which is why I didn't despair too much when I found this girl injured.

Update on Blaze:

She's doing great! No infection and the wound is less than half the size it was a week ago. She's anxious to get back to the flock, but meanwhile I have brought her sister in to keep her company (and to prevent a similar injury since sis is also bald). Hen saddles arrive today and I'll have extra coops/runs within a week or two. My plan is to remove boys during spring hormone frenzy, as needed.

Photo:
20230206_121739.jpg

Back
Top Bottom