Inside view of Modern Layer Facility

Hmmmm..... Well, I know for myself I believe it's in the best interest of my chickens to not live out their entire lives in wire. Now I know for breeding purposes I will probably set up some breeding pens or something similar when I want to reproduce and hatch some purebred chicks or chicks from a specific hen or rooster; Could that mean caging a pair or trio for a few weeks - possibly, but not long term hopefully. I also have a hard time believing that it is easier to keep ANY animal free of disease when they are so densely packed and populated like this. Conservation studies have been done in deer where disease and mortality increase significantly when there is a population increase. Od course that also is a result of limited resources being available. At the end of the day I hope I never have to eat a store bought egg again - the "free range" and "organic" requirements are minimal and are in reality NOTHING like the back yard situation most people envision when they imagine the lifes of free range flocks. They can keep their mass produced "superiorly healthy" flock and it's products. I feel sorry for those birds........

Very interesting. My Grandma raised broilers on contract when I was little, um, in the 70's. Very small by today's standards, just two small buildings (compared to what I see in Georgia today). It was extra money on the farm. She gathered a lot of eggs too, so I don't know, maybe it was something else than today's broilers. They were white, and back then I was clueless. Or she had separate flocks? Anyway, she insisted on lower numbers than the company said she could have so they had more room. But it certainly was never so spotless.

Back to the video. Yes, the farmer will do everything possible for healthy birds, and to produce something that's going to be sold. Very clean birds in those recycling shots. So, "free range" simply means, no cage, but still packed inside?
I have read some research on diseases spread by wild bird contact. It is a valid point that it would be harder to isolate a backyard flock, but opinion seems to be the backyard flock is healthier due to the constant exposure and all, and in itself more isolated from other poultry populations.

I have been to egg production places, some only a mile away here. They look nothing like this! More like the animal rights nightmare. Gah! I'm just very, very thankful I am still allowed to raise my own. My birds are healthy, get real sunshine, etc.

Umm yeah, that video is so staged. It had to be shot right after a MAJOR cleaning! If you have ever seen an egg factory before you know they are messy. The birds don't look so clean either. Also such pearly white eggs in the collection troughs? Those were already cleaned and placed for taping.

I firmly believe that my chickens are healthier and happier to be able to run outside and be chickens! keeping them inside has nothing to do with the health and protection of the chickens. It is for convenience and the operations bottom line.

I don't want to offend anyone but "horsehockey!" Those chickens looked sick to me! And a lil dirt never hurt. I will keep my small flock in the side yard and enjoy my "Yard eggs"

That was a 'good' facility?? They were packed in like sardines and it didn't look like half of them could stand up all the way.

Quote:
You know what, I will too. Our eggs to me taste so much better, and we know exactly what we are feeding our birds. Healthy with no chemicals for mass production and all that. I looove my big brown yard eggs!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Maybe not. Depends on how well managed the facility was. On the other side of the coin not too long ago there was a big hoo haw about supposed abuses at a local egg farm. An animal rights group had supposedly gone there undercover and shot video as proof. Big media coverage and all that. Turned out the videos were all staged and now the egg farm is suing the animal rights group. Hope they win big time.

Back
Top Bottom