insulate?

What does the coop look like? Is it elevated or on the ground? What materials is it made of? What does your ventilation look like? How big is it and how many of what kind of chickens will you have? Is it protected or out in a wind? Do you have a thermal mass inside, like the ground?

There are two types of heat transfer, convection (air movement) and conduction (transfer through materials. Radiation is in this part too). Insulation affects conduction. In my opinion insulation is probably of more value in summer to keep heat from building up than in the winter to keep the cold out, but with some materials and locations/exposure of certain types of coops, it can help some in the winter. I’ve had chickens killed by heat. I’ve seen chickens sleep in trees in below zero Fahrenheit weather. I’m much more concerned about heat than cold.

A metal coop (or one made out of a thin conductive material) or an elevated coop can benefit more from insulation than a wooden coop on the ground as far as cold. Your concern is probably not the everyday weather you have but the cold snaps of extreme weather. The extremes are where you are likely to have problems.

I’m in a totally different climate than you, but I’d be more likely to build a good walk-in coop on the ground out of wood than to insulate. There are coops like that in Alaska that are not heated or insulated other than using building techniques and materials that provide natural insulation.

Wow thanks for sharing. So the coop is wood off ground. We're actually converting a large shed. It is protected on one side by woods the other side by a pool. We are going to put in a larger vent and there is a full size window. I have 6 buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Americaunas. all I believe are fairly hardy. We're adding an extra run in an L shape to wrap around 2 corners of the coop since I'm still not convinced to free range ( love my chickens) however desperately want to. I bought a coop from Chicken Saloon that states it will house 10-15 chickens....not even close. So even though that was somewhat a waste of money it has served its purpose while they are stiil young and not fully grown.

I have so many concerns. I just know I want to do what's best for them as they are our pets and egg layers. I really want the best coop, run, and safety. Once I get the coop figured out I'll think more about the free range situatuion. My mom always free ranged her chickens, ducks, guineas and geese but I remember casualties. I would love my girls cruising around the yard with me and just doing their thing but my large backyard is quite open with an open field next door. I appreciate any advise!

So ventilation is probably more of an issue than insulation especially if they are tight on space - all those bodies will generate heat together and also a lot of moisture. Since the coop is protected by the woods on one side and a pool on the other and you are adding a run to wrap around the coop on two sides, I would suggest that if it gets very cold and windy, you can always put a tarp or a board or some tin along the outside of the run to help provide a wind break and make a slightly warmer microclimate around the coop.

As for free-ranging, that is always a risk. I let my girls free-range but then lock them up tight at night. So far so good but there are lots of predators and it is a risk.

Thanks for your input! I believe I'm going to let my girls venture out right before dusk tonight. i think if I take it slow I'll feel more confident. A couple people at work last night shared their thoughts...one gives total free range and one lets hers out 1 hour before dusk. i think I'll try the later. Of course I can always follow my brother's advise and sit out there with a rifle but then that's that's not my style at all.Just trying to be proactive and find that happy medium.

Great advise on the wind break. I agree with the ventilation and moisture. There's so much info out there but the best seems to come from BYC folks.

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend!
wee.gif
This will be my girls running free this evening!

My coop was converted from a shed with 2x4 walls that were insulated. I find in the winter that the inside of the coop is always 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside air. You can also have southern facing windows on the coop, so you can get free solar heat. I have two large windows on the west and east side that I open to control the humidity, and even in winter one is open 50% and the other ranges from 10%-50% depending on the weather.

I'm in your area and I don't think it's necessary. If by some chance or got ridiculously cold, I would supplement with my heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom