Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Chicken wire should be plenty since it's not holding back predators. I'm not completely familiar with integrating in this way because I integrate a bit differently than this but it seems the wire/divider just needs to be a simple barrier to prevent your chickens from physical contact so it should be fine.

Hard to know if chicken wire is enough or not...I know with my temporary chicken wire wall the bottom was floppy and bird could get under it...plus the first time I used it was to isolate a naughty cockerel.....so I added the wooden part with HC windows and later added the tiny doors for chick integration.

The chicken wire wall and wooden lower part are separate pieces.
I put up the wall, then the wooden part and wire it to the chicken wire.
I hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.:ya

Yes, I understand exactly what you mean.

Ok, then, I'll use wood or a weighty anchor along the entire divider to make sure no one can tunnel under.

Once I'm sure there's no severe aggression from the hens and can start letting them mix it up, will add "chick only" portal doors, so the biddies can have a way to safety if needed. Likely will use some plywood addition for that purpose.

Wish me luck, I am a nervous Mom.

Chicken wire should be plenty since it's not holding back predators. I'm not completely familiar with integrating in this way because I integrate a bit differently than this but it seems the wire/divider just needs to be a simple barrier to prevent your chickens from physical contact so it should be fine.

Thank you for the reply. I have only had experience with one recovered grown hen raised with the same flock and man that was a more difficult experience than I had expected.

I had visions of those little girls poking their heads thru and getting pecked :oops:.

Maybe when I get it ready and let them visit the new site, I'll do pretend pecks myself if anyone dares to try sticking their head out? They do seem to be fast learners already:)

Aart, what do you think of setting up the wall using 2x4 welded wire? Would that be big enough for the 4 week old chicks to go in and out easily and still keep the full grown hens separate?
Good question:pop.

Wouldn't work for me 2x4 will be a little small - I think I'll need 4x4 openings when mine can intermix.

I used to have a 3'x4' "nursery" I used for my little OEGB each spring. When she hatched out her babies, I lifted it up off the ground with 2x4 pieces set on edge. So it was 3.5" off the ground. Only the mama and babies could go in and out. It was their safe zone.

Well, just color me jealous :) I only have room for the ladies, wish I had the time and motivation to expand.

Aart, what do you think of setting up the wall using 2x4 welded wire? Would that be big enough for the 4 week old chicks to go in and out easily and still keep the full grown hens separate?
Weeellll.....maybe. Depends on chicks.

Have had some that could fit thru 2x4 and some that couldn't when I used it to build a creep feed area...I bent every other hole to make openings a bit larger.

Had chicken wire over 2x4 to keep chicks in run, a chick got it's head stuck and broke it's neck struggling to get loose. I then lined all the runs with 1/2" HC and never looked back.

Subject of the thread is the adjustable doors placed in a wooden wall....works the best IMO.

Back
Top Bottom