International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I join the ranks of the busy. I start my Vet Tech training tomorrow. It will be 12 to 18 months of school.

On another note I will try to get updated pictures of my Wheaton and Marans Rooster this weekend.. They have been growing and have changed a lot in just a short time. I will throw in some of my hens as well.

Alright..... we will have a vet tech on our thread! Can't wait to see your birds. Please take front, back and side photos and nice head and back shots like Calgaryfarmers.

I join the ranks of the busy.   I start my Vet Tech training tomorrow.   It will be 12 to 18 months of school. 

On another note I will try to get updated pictures of my Wheaton and Marans Rooster this weekend.. They have been growing and have changed a lot in just a short time.   I will throw in some of my hens as well.  

Congrats and best of luck with your studies. It will be great to have a Vet Tech on this forum.

I wish I could do that. I have given away about 30+ cockerels.

Well, it probably took me 4 hours to process 4 cockerals. It was my first time. I will improve my set up and it will likely take less time.

I questioned whether I would do it again. I decided it is probably the right thing to do. It is part of the reason for having chickens, to ensure that the chickens we consume have a good life.

Quote: My sister decided not to process them anymore. She said it wasn't worth it to her..... but I agree with you. There was a woman here on BYC that was going to take her cockerels to the vet to be put down she couldn't keep roosters in her neighborhood and she didn't want anyone to eat them. I realized that was just killing them.....it was more respectful to eat them. There is a man here that will process them in exchange for a share of the birds. I am going to call him the next time I have cockerels.

Quote: It is like you wrote a little while ago. If you were studying Marans instead of Neurology it would be a lot more fun. When you have passion for what you do it is no longer work or difficult.

I made a suggestion a month ago or so about breaking down the SOP bit by bit. We could work on combs for a few days, help everyone understand them etc.... and them move on. We could post pictures of our birds combs and talk about them. Then we could move to something else. Help everyone understand the SOP and recognize the good and the bad. I wanted to start with combs because I don't understand combs!
wink.png

Last edited:
When you ask the thread to evaluate your birds it will be helpful if you include pictures that will give us a good idea of the overall bird and also allow us to see important details.

These are examples:

Side

Front

Rear

Head

Back

Thanks to all for posting pictures of your birds. This and Chooks man have helped me understand more about Marans than reading ever could. Everyone jump in and evaluate, that is what will make us breeders. Learning what we like and what we want to see in our birds and how to get there. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Another thing I like about this, when you are looking at your birds in your yard I think we stop seeing them in a way. When I look at a picture I can really see the bird without prejudice.

Last edited:
It is like you wrote a little while ago. If you were studying Marans instead of Neurology it would be a lot more fun. When you have passion for what you do it is no longer work or difficult.

I made a suggestion a month ago or so about breaking down the SOP bit by bit. We could work on combs for a few days, help everyone understand them etc.... and them move on. We could post pictures of our birds combs and talk about them. Then we could move to something else. Help everyone understand the SOP and recognize the good and the bad. I wanted to start with combs because I don't understand combs!
wink.png

Hi everyone, i agree with redbanks, I personally would benefit from a focused topic by topic schedule of discussion. I will go out and take pictures of the combs today. I think sometimes it's hard because we are all so busy but there is a lot of good information scattered throughout members and the hundreds of pages of a thread. If you create a new thread for this, please let me know so that I can subscribe. Otherwise, I'll stay tuned here
wee.gif

It is like you wrote a little while ago.  If you were studying Marans instead of Neurology it would be a lot more fun.  When you have passion for what you do it is no longer work or difficult. 

I made a suggestion a month ago or so about breaking down the SOP bit by bit.  We could work on combs for a few days, help everyone understand them etc.... and them move on.  We could post pictures of our birds combs and talk about them.  Then we could move to something else.  Help everyone understand the SOP and recognize the good and the bad.  I wanted to start with combs because I don't understand combs! ;)

Absolutely agree! I have never enjoyed neuro nursing, my heart is in obstetrics (labor and delivery). When we study OB I am passionate and enjoy studying. Neuro not so much! Lol Chickens have been something I have enjoyed since I was a kid. I love to learn about chickens. So Im game with the focused topic SOP breakdown. Sounds like fun. :D

Took a brief break from studying to go visit my chickens and take a picture. Here is the oldest Marans cockerel I have. He is an 8 month old Cuckoo. What I like about his comb is that the blade doesnt touch the nape of his neck and he has an okay number of points. Im counting 7, is that correct? So he does have a couple points too many. Or would that be 6? Not sure if you would count the little nub of a point in the front. He doesnt have any side sprigs, or thumbprint.

What are your thoughts Redbanks?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom