International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

thanks for elaborating on the points of these birds chooksman. I really do appreciate this!!. It is helpful to understand for those of us still learning. Also thanks to the original poster for such good photos of each bird that allow us this learning opportunity.

you Welcome .
we are here to learn from each other and breed a better marans choocks .

photos always help to understand what we are talking about .Fault or Quality

choocks man

My problem is that I really don't have any decent girls! Right now, I only have 3 left, and none of them are very good (brown eyes, crooked combs, etc.) I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow.

My inexperience with BCM eggs led me to lose a bunch during incubation/lockdown, but I do have a few females from 4-12 weeks, as well as a small group of chicks I just got from GFF. I'll get some pictures of the juvenile ones, as well.

My 2 "Lavender" and 2 Lav Split girls have finally started laying, though I'm just getting the small pullet eggs right now. The color's about a 6, so not great, but could be worse!

Here are the few sorta decent pics I managed of one of the splits and one of the lavenders. These girls never seem to stay still!

It seems to me they have overly, uh, fluffy fluff, especially the lavender. (Sorry, I don't know the correct term!)

Last edited:
that is a good chose .

keeping both and hatch chicks from them .that will give you a better chose to select from .

can you weight Blade and copper to see exactly how heavy are they .? if possible .

Shy guy can not be compared to them .they are far superior .

chooks man

All I have is an old bathroom scale, and it might not be that accurate. But I can give it a try!

My problem is that I really don't have any decent girls! Right now, I only have 3 left, and none of them are very good (brown eyes, crooked combs, etc.) I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow.

My inexperience with BCM eggs led me to lose a bunch during incubation/lockdown, but I do have a few females from 4-12 weeks, as well as a small group of chicks I just got from GFF. I'll get some pictures of the juvenile ones, as well.

My 2 "Lavender" and 2 Lav Split girls have finally started laying, though I'm just getting the small pullet eggs right now. The color's about a 6, so not great, but could be worse!

Here are the few sorta decent pics I managed of one of the splits and one of the lavenders. These girls never seem to stay still!

It seems to me they have overly, uh, fluffy fluff, especially the lavender. (Sorry, I don't know the correct term!)

both pullets are great type .number 6 eggs color is great . 6and 7 are the best marans egg color .
they have a great comb and they have a nice tail not pointed ( square but with a good form .
they seem to have a nice mass too and well feathered shanks .

the Lav gene is very dominant . easy to work with .
if is there as 2 copies will express it self and at one copy than become a split Lav .

If I had them here how I ll work with them .

Step one working on the type .- comb -and body color
mate Copper to the Lav pullet = you will get all black copper split Lav .with a good body type . 70% will have a feathered shanks and better tail
they will all ( almost ) have a great comb .

hatch a couple of dozen eggs from this mating .they will be your Copper F1 progeny

Step 2=
mate the best Copper F1 between them selves to get a true copper F2 progeny . in this progeny ( F2) we will have
25% pure Black Copper
50 % Black copper Split Lav
25% pure Lav

this line will have a great comb and gorgeous rich red copper like copper him self

Chooks man

Step 1 working with Blade
mate him to a same Lav pullets;
in this mating we are looking to fix the comb and reinforce the type and mass from Blade plus the shanks feathering .

do the same thing you did with Copper ,hatch a couples dozen as Blade F1;
they will be big ,all have a feathered shanks .and most of them will have a nicer comb .better than they father

mate the best and make the true F2 from Blade .the percentage will be a same as Copper F2 .

if you do that .by the second year you ll be spoiled for the chose the combine both line or keeping the separate if you have space .

you don t need many chooks to breed a good one .you have enough

I ll tell more when I see the Black copper pullet photos.

chooks man

Working with a Birchen pullet .I still don t understand how she come to been . 100% she is not a split Lav from a Black copper X Lav ,because she ll be black copper colored not Birchen .

OK let test mate her to see what color pattern she is truly is .

her how to do it ,

mate her to you Lav cockerel ( he is a handsome dude ) =
1) if she is a true Birchen ,than all the F1 will = pullets black copper split Lav and all the cockerels will be golden/Silver half way Birchen/black copper split Lav .

if she is split Lav ,than you will get -
50% black copper split Lav pure pullet and impure cockerels
50% Lav

that is the best way to know who is she .before you go any deep into breeding her .she is gorgeous.

chooks man

Hi Everyone, I have a question! Can a Black Copper Marans rooster not show any copper at all. I bought Black Copper and Blue Copper chicks from a gal. She also has Black and Blue Marans. I don't know if they got mixed together? In the picture it looks like there is leakage but he doesn't have any leakage. He is jet black and around 15 weeks old. I just wonder what he is Black Copper or just Black!!! Can you breed a Black to a Black Copper or Blue Copper? Thank you!

Hi Everyone, I have a question! Can a Black Copper Marans rooster not show any copper at all. I bought Black Copper and Blue Copper chicks from a gal. She also has Black and Blue Marans. I don't know if they got mixed together? In the picture it looks like there is leakage but he doesn't have any leakage. He is jet black and around 15 weeks old. I just wonder what he is Black Copper or just Black!!! Can you breed a Black to a Black Copper or Blue Copper? Thank you!

Hi there .yes he look black but his hatch mate has a coppery hackle .
I think he is just a Black copper without copper that all .
if you said the gals has solid Black and solid blue maybe they got mix up
Do not mate hin to any Black copper strain please .
let him do some growing and will see how his final body color will be .

the reason I say he is not pure black because of his shank/feet color .they are pinkish at bottom . if he was pure black they will be solid dark grey

I like his body type and his early feathering trait .

keep us posted of his progress .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom