International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

your chicks are fine .they have enough white ( they meant to have some white ) .they faces are black ,great sign .

they have a proper hatch down .
Happy for you and hope the other will hatch too .

chooks man

cute chicks, congrats!

they all have some white at hatch but it will not stay. the problem is only if they have it as adults, don't worry!

Is it only considered parasitic, if it's still there after first molt? What if a 4-5 month old has a white wing feather, but it doesn't show after first molt?

Just trying to learn.

Is it only considered parasitic, if it's still there after first molt? What if a 4-5 month old has a white wing feather, but it doesn't show after first molt?

Just trying to learn.
I am a learner too. I wonder if roos who loose the white feathers after their first molt will have offspring free of parasitic white feathers. ????@Chooks man

Thanks everyone for the comments. Makes me feel a little better about the white on the wings. I ended up with three chicks. The other three did not hatch. One was fully developed, but never pipped.
hit.gif
The other two died very early in development. I am thankful to have the three. I know three chickens are not a lot to work with. Hoping for at least one rooster and one hen. I will add some more pics as they develop. Thanks for all of the comments.
smile.png

hello all
I haven't posted in a while but i read everyday. I must say this is the most friendly thread I've ever been on, it seems that on all the other threads people are not friendly and not very helpfulittle, but not here. I felt just wanted to say hello to everyone and wish yall well. my breeding hasn't been going excalty like I was hoping it would be by this time of the year by i had alot of culls and my birds arnt quite grown enough, I only have 2 mature birdS to work with at the moment. I feel like when my others mature I'm be in a good spot though.here are a couple random pictures. I'll take some more for critiques later when I get time.

well I guess it's not going to work right now, I'll try again soon.

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and have learned so much. Especially from Chooks man. I have set 24 beautiful BCM eggs, just bought 2 doz eggs and decided to try to hatch them instead of eating them. I've done a few successful hatches of my ameraucanas but am so nervous about the marans as their eggs are so dark I haven't been able to get a good view candeling. I've been trying to keep their temp as close to 99..5- 100* F, and humidity has been between 35-40%. I have a Brinsea 20 Automatic. Nervous that the humidity may be a little too high. I'm only on day 8 so just getting started. Mostly just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the good information about the breed, hatching, and what to look for in the chicks....hopefully I'll have a few In a coup,e weeks!:yiipchick

I have enjoyed reading the posts here and have learned so much. Especially from Chooks man. I have set 24 beautiful BCM eggs, just bought 2 doz eggs and decided to try to hatch them instead of eating them. I've done a few successful hatches of my ameraucanas but am so nervous about the marans as their eggs are so dark I haven't been able to get a good view candeling. I've been trying to keep their temp as close to 99..5- 100* F, and humidity has been between 35-40%. I have a Brinsea 20 Automatic. Nervous that the humidity may be a little too high. I'm only on day 8 so just getting started. Mostly just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the good information about the breed, hatching, and what to look for in the chicks....hopefully I'll have a few In a coup,e weeks!
yippiechickie.gif
You are right on the money about learning a lot here - me too. I'm picking up my BCM chicks tomorrow from a local breeder that was nice enough to hatch eggs for me from her stock. I'm really anxious to get them and feel a bit better prepared to raise them after monitoring this thread. I'm really looking forward to start breeding them next year.

hello all
I haven't posted in a while but i read everyday. I must say this is the most friendly thread I've ever been on, it seems that on all the other threads people are not friendly and not very helpfulittle, but not here. I felt just wanted to say hello to everyone and wish yall well. my breeding hasn't been going excalty like I was hoping it would be by this time of the year by i had alot of culls and my birds arnt quite grown enough, I only have 2 mature birdS to work with at the moment. I feel like when my others mature I'm be in a good spot though.here are a couple random pictures. I'll take some more for critiques later when I get time.

well I guess it's not going to work right now, I'll try again soon.
you are right, this is a friendly thread.

I need more chickens too to work with. I have 2 roos who fight each other and 1 hen. bad luck with hatching, 0 chicks hatched. 2 hens started clucking then it got colder and I had a night visitor (dog or fox) so they lost interest in getting broody. it seems another year without marans
he.gif

Just trying to learn.

parasitic white are all the white feathers on the tail ,wings and any part of the body at the adult age.

some strains show they parasitic white at the young age as soon as they hatch ,they hatch down has more white . other will no show it tell they second molt . those one are tricky to work with .

a lot of marans strain. if not almost all are infected by the parasitic white .no match work has been done at this stage yet .most people are working on different traits but not the romoving the parasitic white completely from the marans breed .

there is one way to breed it out completely in 2 generation . is to breed from the older chooks ,the ones they past they 2 molt .if there is not white feathers at this stage ,than it is safer to use .and the next progeny will be free from any parasitic white .

breeding from a pullets and cockerels doesn t help to remove it ,because they plumage is not yet the real one.

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom