International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I need to get some good updated pics of my Black Coppers. I've never had a group of chickens so laid back. I love that about them.

Here's a couple new chicks... Blue Coppers from Harvey Moore. Had a terrible hatch and it was late... but at least I have a couple. The chick with white wings had crippled feet. Taped them for a couple days and they straitened up. It's wings were drawn up too. I think still shows in pics.
Will the 2nd chick with white in wings be splash?
Chick #1

Chick #2

they are Blues but loaded with a parasitic white .
first one is no bad and she is a pullet .
the second is blue and has away too much white . good type and straight leg .I see a cockerel.

i ll wait to see your BCM chicks

chooks man

LL

@ Double Barrel .
i really like the body type of this pullet.
she is chunky
strong feet ,nicely feathered and colored
early feathering type .

keep your eyes on her please .and name her well too .

Chooks man

they are Blues but loaded with a parasitic white .
first one is no bad and she is a pullet .
the second is blue and has away too much white . good type and straight leg .I see a cockerel.

i ll wait to see your BCM chicks

chooks man

Chooks man, Please tell me what you see. What was the difference in these chicks and the one that I posted that was so light? I also hatched out another chick that is 3 days old. She is from pure Bev breading stock. Thats the chick in the first picture it was even lighter than the first chick that I hatched in the second picture.

Last edited:
you don t need to cross your fingers .
she is a pullet 100% .and a gorgeous one too .

chooks man

I agree. I have told Merrymouse the very same thing haha. She is a gorgeous pullet.
Im so happy to hear this....I love this chick and she was my most expensive too so I would have been so disappointed if I had to give it away. Thank you
celebrate.gif

glad to hear the chick got better. they are cute, no idea about colour. the first one looks like pullet to me.
Thank you, I'm happy it healed up. Idk if it had anything to do with my doctoring or not. It was like it's tendons were drawn up and it was walking on fists. It may have done the same without my tape after some time, but I couldn't help myself after waiting so long, paying so much AND only two live. Seems you and Chooks man are in agreement concerning the sex.
LL
@ Double Barrel . i really like the body type of this pullet. she is chunky strong feet ,nicely feathered and colored early feathering type . keep your eyes on her please .and name her well too . Chooks man
I certainly will. Thank you for all your help. Ill have to think of a suitable name for her. It's a shame about the others parasitic white. I hoped it would be splash when I saw that.

Blues can have quite a range of hatch down, but usually when the wing feathers start to grow in, you will see the true blue color then. If it is splash, it will be a blue/white wing feathers growing in with blue splotches on the primaries and secondaries on their first wing feathers. I've noticed fast/slow feathering on Marans can be seen in how fast their tail feathers grow in, at least mine are that way. Certainly, my cream legbars are much faster feathering than the Marans, but some Marans have really slow feathering.

Chooks man, Please tell me what you see. What was the difference in these chicks and the one that I posted that was so light? I also hatched out another chick that is 3 days old. She is from pure Bev breading stock. Thats the chick in the first picture it was even lighter than the first chick that I hatched in the second picture.

both are Blue but they hatch down color is way too of . they do carries some modifying genes causing the hatch down to be that clear and they head is more of a splash than blue copper .
I know they are from a pure well worked out stock ,so you can ask the breeder what the story of this lighter /Splash Colored hatch down that turn into Blue chicks .

I personally will not breed from them .
for me the proper hatch down color of the chick is very important in my selective breeding . this sort of chicks never will be tagged . layer pullets and freezer cockerels .

I do not even breed from the Penguin type hatch down .they are a cull for me .

only breed from the chicks that are mostly black with a minimum white on they lower body not they faces .

Chooks man

Looking for input on my black birchen babies :)

pink

yellow

blue

Thanks for any advice!!!!!!!

This is the pair all babies were bred from:

they look great to .nice hatch down .like they faces .minimum white.

good type specially the third one. I like a lot .

well colored parent stock. nice pure silver and pure Black too .

chooks man

Looking for input on my black birchen babies :)

pink

yellow

blue

Thanks for any advice!!!!!!!

This is the pair all babies were bred from:

The parents look really nice. Keep us updated with pictures!

I've got some Birchen eggs that I bought in the bator, and some of them are a plum color! I wonder how hard it would be to breed for the heavy bloom because I love it.

Back
Top Bottom