International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

here some more Clack copper pullets BC and a Bir pullets BC and Bir pullets BC pullet no much copper on her hackle but great type BC pullets with extra copper on her chest same pullet ,she is great type .loce her long flat back and small tail chooks man
Loving your chooks @Chooks Man - well bred!! I'm curious, what is your plan for the Split White Cockerel? Take Care, Keith

Last edited:
So...having some problems with Pinky Pie.

He's becoming more aggressive the older he gets. I don't know if that's because I have more roos on the property now or what, but it's ridiculous. He charges the sides of the pen anytime I walk by (enough that he's actually rubbing the feathers off his breast), and I have to pin him down and pick him up just to go inside. Today was the first time he used his beak on me and bit my cheek pretty good. It'll probably leave a scar.
somad.gif

I should cull him, right? I mean, I do have two younger cockerels by him and several decent pullets. Hopefully they haven't inherited his aggression.

I ll cook him for a dog if I was you .
now that he started he is only going to get worst .

no body know what goes inside the chooks head .one day they are cool and the next day they turn nasty .

Chooks man

I ll cook him for a dog if I was you .
now that he started he is only going to get worst .

no body know what goes inside the chooks head .one day they are cool and the next day they turn nasty .

Chooks man

Thanks for the feedback. I probably should've done it several months ago, but I was hoping if I tried all those "rooster domination" tricks, he might calm down. But I've carried him, squirt him with water, smacked the crap out of him, and nothing works. Today was the last straw; I just needed to hear it from someone else. He was such a sweet cockerel, but like you said, one day he just flipped.

Chooks man, or anybody else actually, what method do you use to cull. I have a 6 month old mutt rooster that I would like to eat but I just cant get myself to do it without guidance. I culled a chick this past month without difficulty but it was damaged so that was different. Thanks for helping a newbie.

Loving your chooks @Chooks Man - well bred!! I'm curious, what is your plan for the Split White Cockerel?

Take Care,
Keith

Ah good question .
my white line come from a inbred line of Black tail buff /wheaten . they luck mass and they eggs are not dark 4 .so they are not good to me to keep them pure .they need to be fixed and bred well if I want them to leave longer and prosper .So I m working on them

here my plan .now that I lost both white hens and left with only White Storm the rooster ,so I crossed him to all my dark egg laying hens and a silver based hens too ( Birchen ).
He was crossed to
2 Birchen hens = F1 progeny ,all the pullets are Black copper looking split white .and the cockerel are half way Birchen/BC carrying a white gene and some yellow impure Colombian
!1 Black copper /Wheaten F1 cross = F1 progeny ; Black copper pullets ,Buff pullets .cockerels are Wheaten .impure BC and pure Black tail buff.
1 Blue copper /Wheaten cross = F1 progeny ; black copper /blue copper. blue Tail buff. Cockerel ; Blue Tail buff . Blue copper and Black copper

Now I ll mate all the F1 pullets to the F1 cockerels .each progeny will be bred separately and they will yield around 25% pure Recessive white .and they should have ( they already have ) good body type .body mass and darker egg .

my future white cockerels will come out of the Birchen crossing .silver based not golden based .

I have made a lot F1 over 50 pullets to chose from and a lot cockerels

This breeding season I ll mate White Storm to my F2 Silver cuckoo hens .to get more split white silver based . different line .

a lot plans and a lot work but in few year time I ll have a best white marans with a proper white genome ER/ER . S/S ( S/-) B/B ( B/-) c/c. I/I .Pti1/Pti1. .never goes yellow and never fade always pure White with Pink shank and beak .

Chooks man

Chooks man, or anybody else actually, what method do you use to cull. I have a 6 month old mutt rooster that I would like to eat but I just cant get myself to do it without guidance. I culled a chick this past month without difficulty but it was damaged so that was different. Thanks for helping a newbie.

I just cut they head with a sharp knife if I have to do just one or 2 .
when I have a larger group I get my friend the butcher who does it for me and he take 25% of the carcasses .

chooks man

I use a cone and a sharp knife. Tug the head toward me, slice the knife away with some muscle, one stroke, and it's done. I'd much prefer to use a hatchet so I don't have to be hands-on, but my aim sucks. You don't want to know how I found that out.
sickbyc.gif

I use a cone and a sharp knife. Tug the head toward me, slice the knife away with some muscle, one stroke, and it's done. I'd much prefer to use a hatchet so I don't have to be hands-on, but my aim sucks. You don't want to know how I found that out.
sickbyc.gif
Yup, I tried with the axe and a stump several years ago and after the first swing that partially decapitated it, that roo sat up and squalked at me and I have not been able to do it since. I reckon if I am raising these things, I better learn to efficiently dispatch them to the freezer. So with the cone, you hold the bird upside down first until it gets drowsy and then put it in and do the deed....?
I just cut they head with a sharp knife if I have to do just one or 2 .
when I have a larger group I get my friend the butcher who does it for me and he take 25% of the carcasses .

chooks man
Do you use the cone?

Thanks for the feedback. I probably should've done it several months ago, but I was hoping if I tried all those "rooster domination" tricks, he might calm down. But I've carried him, squirt him with water, smacked the crap out of him, and nothing works. Today was the last straw; I just needed to hear it from someone else. He was such a sweet cockerel, but like you said, one day he just flipped.

I am not experienced with chickens but I am doing tottaly opposite of what people do and my roos are puppies. I carry and pet them and talk nicely to them. I want to believe that aggression can be bred out.

I compare it to people. in my family my grandfather's family was a bunch of wilds. with my grandmother's way of raising children with love we have calm people in the family and that is passing to the new generations.

for someone who has hundreds if not thousands of chickens it would be impossible to spend so much time with aggressive roos. but with just a few I can do it. I think it is too late for your boy now but if you ever have the same issue don't kick him around just try to treat him nicely.

my Jupiter attacked me twice, once I even had a wound on my leg. but he comes for hugs now.

Yup, I tried with the axe and a stump several years ago and after the first swing that partially decapitated it, that roo sat up and squalked at me and I have not been able to do it since. I reckon if I am raising these things, I better learn to efficiently dispatch them to the freezer. So with the cone, you hold the bird upside down first until it gets drowsy and then put it in and do the deed....?

Exactly. It helps to make contact with the skin so you don't have to cut through feathers.

Back
Top Bottom