International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you, Kfelton002.

I hatched her from shipped eggs I got from a breeder that were all supposed to be BCM or BBS CM, and out of 18 eggs I hatched 1 pullet who appears to be a Penedesenca (in the background of the pullet I showed), 1 Splash cockerel and 3 Blue Cockerels. I culled all of the cockerels for different reasons - the splash was sickly, the largest blue was WAY over colored, and of the two darker ones (who were both too small), one had barely any leg feathering and the other just didn't suit me overall. I have been on the waiting list for Blue Copper chicks from the Davis line since late last year or early this year, (I can't recall), and gave up hope of getting any this year at this point.

Anyway, all of them were in eggs that were about a 4. I have 2 roosters I have a choice of putting her under for a test mating this coming Spring, but they are both slightly over colored. If she throws chicks with a lot of gold or mossiness, I have a cockerel growing out who is quite dark, and perhaps I can put her under him next fall. My current BCM hens have poor feathering on their shanks and are a little small, and Snow here is large and has lovely feathers, so I am hoping adding her in can lend something good to future generations.

You're welcome! I say go for it. That's the fun part.. I love the BBS gene. And
Snow is such a pretty name for her. It was so exciting hatching my first blue copper chicks earlier this year and watching them grow and feather out. The blue coppers are really lovely. The copper contrasts nicely with the slate blue color and looks so striking. It's a shame that blue copper is not a recognized variety of Marans in America (yet). Hopefully by the time I get my birds closer to SOP and start showing, the APA will approve the blue copper variety.

I have heard that too, but they only get 1-2 at best to hatch out of a dozen. Those eggs are 3-4 weeks old and have been washed, but they have been refrigerated which can preserve hatchability. I was friends with an old timer that told me he stored his hatching eggs in the refrigerator for several weeks. When he gathered enough to set, he brought them up to room temp and then set them with decent hatch rates. I have set eggs out of the refrigerator many times, washed and unwashed. Way back when I first started out, I didn't know any better that you weren't supposed to wash hatching eggs. I still always had good hatch rates, despite washing them. It can be done, but hatchability does go down as the eggs age and your hatch rates won't be as good.

I have hatched many, many eggs. I get the best hatch rates when I set eggs no older than a week to 10 days old, unwashed, continuously turned or at least turned daily during storage, and kept in a room no warmer than 68 degrees or so.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't been doing much right waiting for the incubator. I don't wash my eggs but was surprised that GFF does.

You're welcome! I say go for it. That's the fun part.. I love the BBS gene. And
Snow is such a pretty name for her. It was so exciting hatching my first blue copper chicks earlier this year and watching them grow and feather out. The blue coppers are really lovely. The copper contrasts nicely with the slate blue color and looks so striking. It's a shame that blue copper is not a recognized variety of Marans in America (yet). Hopefully by the time I get my birds closer to SOP and start showing, the APA will approve the blue copper variety.

Thanks! SnowBIRD is her actual name but I just call her Snow.

I just love the color difference in the blues and splash, and the fact that the colors between the birds can vary a bit. I love my Black Coppers, but "chicken tv" is boring when all of the characters look so alike! I don't show my birds, so it's not too important to me whether that particular color variety is accepted. In the future, that may be a different story, but for now, I'm good. :)

Thanks for the tips. I haven't been doing much right waiting for the incubator. I don't wash my eggs but was surprised that GFF does.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense. Some people wash with an antiseptic, like listerine but I think washing the protective bloom off the egg defeats the purpose unless the egg is heavily soiled.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense. Some people wash with an antiseptic, like listerine but I think washing the protective bloom off the egg defeats the purpose unless the egg is heavily soiled.
They used to have an informational thing on their website. It read they washed them in swirling warm water.

Finally finished 1/2 of the new run. Chooks have been locked up waaaay too long.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
View attachment 1174610 Here’s my only boy left. His name is #1 & he’s 6 months old now. I’ve had to put him in his place a few times but he’s generally been a good Roo.

He is a nice looking cockerel. I love his color and his face/comb. Very handsome. :)

You sound like me, naming them by numbers. Ive just recently started naming more as its easier to talk about them when they're named. Lol.

And its a good thing you dont let him get his bluff over on you. Maximus has been testing the waters with me lately. He is getting the macho man big-head now that he has his own harem of ladies and Ive had to swat at him a time or too so he knows who is boss.

Back
Top Bottom