International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Finishing off a long day of work with a beer and my best girl Purdy enjoying the sunset over the mountains :):)

Attachments

• IMG_20180509_182930610_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180509_182930610_HDR.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 6
Those are really nice boys! Good body type with great color and markings. Tails looking better. Beautiful!
Thank you,
The cockerel I am keeping far left is so nice. He is not 6 months yet. His tail in this pic is as high as it get. I am happy about that. He has a slight halo but I will take that over the 90% tail. His back is short. He has just the right amount of color on his chest. His comb is the best I have ever produced (not huge). I just noticed my dog eating the chicken feed in the background.
20180509_171919.jpg

Thank you,
The cockerel I am keeping far left is so nice. He is not 6 months yet. His tail in this pic is as high as it get. I am happy about that. He has a slight halo but I will take that over the 90% tail. His back is short. He has just the right amount of color on his chest. His comb is the best I have ever produced (not huge). I just noticed my dog eating the chicken feed in the background.
View attachment 1381373

I was just gonna ask about the halo. Didn't you say someone said not to get into that project? The one on the right has a nice comb and wattle. What his hangup? Othe than the pic makes his eye look funny. Really they are all studs. You're gonna have to get nitpicky if you can't let them hangout.

Edit to add: with stock like that I'd be scrutinizing my hens at this point. Handsome boys

I was just gonna ask about the halo. Didn't you say someone said not to get into that project? The one on the right has a nice comb and wattle. What his hangup? Othe than the pic makes his eye look funny. Really they are all studs. You're gonna have to get nitpicky if you can't let them hangout.

Edit to add: with stock like that I'd be scrutinizing my hens at this point. Handsome boys
I actually like that cockerels eyes. I was going to keep him just for his eyes. They are a beautiful orange, hoping the others just haven't fully developed their eye color yet. The halo on him is so slight not like the cockerel that Monique said not to use. You have to take the bad with the good and he has a lot of good.

Been dark here for a long time! Sounds like a great way to end the day.
Sort of lol looking at my coop while the kids are free ranging thinking about more work I have to do to finish the coop lol Always work but hey I like the outdoors work ya can't beat the fresh air & the scenery ,not something I'd get sitting a desk ....I'm so glad I went with farming instead of desk jockeying these days lol

I actually like that cockerels eyes. I was going to keep him just for his eyes. They are a beautiful orange, hoping the others just haven't fully developed their eye color yet. The halo on him is so slight not like the cockerel that Monique said not to use. You have to take the bad with the good and he has a lot of

He was probably just blinking but I didn't think of that when I posted. They are all nice. Curious- what makes your choice more favorable than the rest?

20180509_171919.jpg
He was probably just blinking but I didn't think of that when I posted. They are all nice. Curious- what makes your choice more favorable than the rest?
He is so pretty! LOL I love a rectangular body. I don't want to see a triangle. They all are pretty nice. He has the best tail, his comb is not as big as the others, he has less color on his chest, he is built like a tank. I like his short legs, some of the others are very high up on leg. What worries me, the only thing that worries me, is his short back.
Comb and wattles are not too big.
Eye color is correct
Beak horn colored correct.
Slight very slight halo on his hackle but the copper is nice.
head is carried correct with a curve to the top of the head with good length
Chest is bowed like the bow of a ship
Body is correct type with rectangular shape. (See kfelton0002's drawing post)
His body is not a triangle when viewed from the side.
His back is short - would like to see more length
He has good width between his legs and his legs are straight
Body coloring is correct and appropriate for this age
Just a sprinkling of color on his chest
Tail is not large and carried at 45%
Legs are the correct color and not too long- grey with pink showing thru
Good feathering on the legs
That is how I see him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom