International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Sharing updated pictures of Edward, my favorite cockerel. He will be 7 months old on the 20th. He isnt perfect by any means but he has no white so far and he is nice and wide. He has a halo and his back should slope downward to the tail, and his tail has gotten higher than I had hoped but he is lovely otherwise I think. I will mate him to long backed, low tailed females and hope for improvements next year.

Pardon all the weeds, the run was empty for a while and the weeds grew up. He is penned temporarily with some Legbar hens and Queen.

View attachment 1463354 View attachment 1463356 View attachment 1463361 View attachment 1463364 View attachment 1463365 View attachment 1463367 View attachment 1463368

He is stunning! So many good attributes. I'm envious. My blue cock has a slight halo also and his copper is much lighter than your Edward. not to mention both my cockerels are over colored so you have some good things going. I hope we're still here in a year yo see how Edward passes on his good looks!

A split for white bird wont be white, it will be colored (black copper, blue copper, birchen) but carry one recessive white gene. Being a recessive gene, it has to be present on both the mother and father's side in order for the birds to come white. In order for recessive white to show up, the bird must inherit 2 copies (one from each parent).

Dominant white is different than recessive white, they're two completely different genes. Dominant white is like the white you see with White Leghorns. You can cross a bird that is dominant white like a white leghorn to any color and the offspring will look predominantly white, with maybe spots of color leakage here and there.

Last edited:
He is stunning! So many good attributes. I'm envious. My blue cock has a slight halo also and his copper is much lighter than your Edward. not to mention both my cockerels are over colored so you have some good things going. I hope we're still here in a year yo see how Edward passes on his good looks!

Thank you! I'm very proud of him. :D

I look forward to seeing the next generation of offspring also, but for now I am sick and tired to death of baby chickens. Am I the only one ready for a break from baby chickens for a while? lol We have hatched hundreds.. they're a lot of work.

I have a few Marans eggs in the incubator, but I've been trying to wrap hatching season up. The hubby won't stop bringing me eggs to set.

:th

Sharing updated pictures of Edward, my favorite cockerel. He will be 7 months old on the 20th. He isnt perfect by any means but he has no white so far and he is nice and wide. He has a halo and his back should slope downward to the tail, and his tail has gotten higher than I had hoped but he is lovely otherwise I think. I will mate him to long backed, low tailed females and hope for improvements next year.

Pardon all the weeds, the run was empty for a while and the weeds grew up. He is penned temporarily with some Legbar hens and Queen.

View attachment 1463354 View attachment 1463356 View attachment 1463361 View attachment 1463364 View attachment 1463365 View attachment 1463367 View attachment 1463368
He is very nice! His halo is not that noticeable in the pics. Beautiful colored. What line is he from?

He is very nice! His halo is not that noticeable in the pics. Beautiful colored. What line is he from?

Oh and thank you! I answered your question about which line he came from without even thanking you for complementing him. He is beautifully colored, I agree. That is one of the reasons I named him Edward. I love the way the sun shines on his feathers. That and I'm a huge Twilight nerd. :D

His halo is minimal and as it stands right now, he is my best male. I am stoked that he doesn't have any disqualifying features. Looks like he will be one busy guy soon enough. LOL

They made it safe and are doing well. 5 Birchen, 5 Blue Birchen and two Blue Copper pullets.
20180711_082206.jpg 20180711_082214.jpg 20180711_082152.jpg

It wouldnt matter. The white will completely cover all the color. No copper will show through. The recessive white is not like splash coloring, it doesnt allow color to show through. Recessive white is pure snow white.
I was reading from Marans of America website. I do not believe that is what they are saying. Please read and help me understand.

Back
Top Bottom