International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I hope so! The one thing that's made me nervous is that she's been slow to develope tail feathers, which I've been told is a sign of a roo. I guess time will tell..
Have you looked to see if there are any pointy saddle feathers coming in? If it's a cockeral at 12 weeks you should be starting to see them. Part the feathers above the tail and see if there are any little pointy feathers starting to come in.

View attachment 1477857 View attachment 1477858 Ok, here are some pics of my girl (hopefully!) sorry, not the best pictures, she's super skittish and doesn't hold still. And I counted back to the hatch date, she's actually 12 weeks old. What do you all think?View attachment 1477860

That's a pullet. She's pretty too. Has someone been trying to shag her? She isn't quite ready yet lol!

I believe you just posted a roo with chest leakage? If so your in same spot as me. Roo has leakage but hoping the sparsely colored hen will balance that out.

*cockerel would be more appropriate

That's a pullet. She's pretty too. Has someone been trying to shag her? She isn't quite ready yet lol!

I believe you just posted a roo with chest leakage? If so your in same spot as me. Roo has leakage but hoping the sparsely colored hen will balance that out.

*cockerel would be more appropriate
Thanks for your response. I hope you're right about her being a she! Yes, looks like we're in the same situation. I haven't witnessed the cockerels bugging her too much, but she does a good job of keeping her distance from them!

Yep she's a pullet. A 12 week old cockerel would have a bigger comb. Hopefully she will stay nice and dark so she can help balance out the cockerel's chest leakage. :)
Yay! Glad to hear what you think since you were right last time! She was the only egg that hatched out of a batch of 20. They were shipped eggs and every single egg had a completely detached air cell, so I'm actually surprised she made it. Must be meant to be!

So my group is a little over 18 weeks now. Maybe some input on how the cockerel is coming along?

These are pretty indicative of his natural stance, tail angle, etc. Tried to get most angles. I know he still has some filling out to do, but thoughts are welcome! Does he have too much color on his sides? He has zero copper on the chest.
5CD93DEF-2024-42B4-ADD5-B74559DDDA9B.jpeg
8604C901-652B-4AEE-913C-ED11B8003F8B.jpeg
95F1F6ED-5E7D-4CD0-97E3-5744CF7CB1A1.jpeg
C0C94505-D4CB-4AAD-9159-AA268FF82720.jpeg
9018B7C2-058F-47FF-BD31-5AC4C6F85F9B.jpeg

And a pretty pullet.
5CB07AB3-B1F6-4B4C-B4E5-23A72F224743.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom