International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

From what i hear the sportsman 1502, I just bought one myself so i'll find out. Everything i hear about them is good if you want to do some serious hatching, brinsea makes a couple differnt good smaller ones for smaller more hobby type hatching.
I will find out also. I just bought the same one today. My old sportsman was having trouble with the electronic thermostat. I couldn't get the knob to lower or raise temperature. It was 98 degrees at egg level. I had them in there about 5 days. I ended up putting my eggs in my hatcher and hand turning. I bought a new digital thermostat but then decided there was probably no way I could install it. I hope I like the new incubator and it gives me a lot of good hatching years. I hope my eggs still hatch.

E6F0A0D8-D7E1-460C-A51E-A99BEBE74E5D.jpeg
03472D73-82EA-45F4-9377-848EDFBB8CE9.jpeg
He hatched March 21. He has started crowing and attempts to mate. How long does it take for them to have all their colors?

View attachment 1487722 View attachment 1487720 He hatched March 21. He has started crowing and attempts to mate. How long does it take for them to have all their colors?
This cockerels hackels are to light, he will have a very obvious halo when he matures. Looks like good color up high but fades to straw colored drastically. Is he the only one you got? and what are your goals?

Lately every time I have had eggs shipped. They have been scrambled. I am thinking of putting them in directly after they arrive and just not turn them for a couple days. I am not really sure what is the best way to go about hatching. I read where if it is hot it could start the incubation process. Praying for the eggs to come in good shape and get a good hatch.
For this reason, I try to have hatching eggs shipped in March and April to avoid the heat. Then again, where I'm at, I know the docks and many of the trucks don't have AC in the cargo. Over 80°F, and you may risk germination.

What kind of incubators do you all use? If you where to get a new incubator. What would you get?
I have a pair of sportsman incubators, a 1202 and a 1502, and my dad came and retrofitted them with automatic temperature modulators. I set a very narrow range and they keep it, but I still have to monitor humidity. I got them from my great uncle when his health wouldn't let him hatch any more, and I promised to keep hatching eggs in them. Paid 200 for the pair. The 1502 is used as a Hatcher because it has a clear acrylic door and a hatching tray in the bottom.

I have a pair of sportsman incubators, a 1202 and a 1502, and my dad came and retrofitted them with automatic temperature modulators. I set a very narrow range and they keep it, but I still have to monitor humidity. I got them from my great uncle when his health wouldn't let him hatch any more, and I promised to keep hatching eggs in them. Paid 200 for the pair. The 1502 is used as a Hatcher because it has a clear acrylic door and a hatching tray in the bottom.
Right on. Can't beat that.

This cockerels hackels are to light, he will have a very obvious halo when he matures. Looks like good color up high but fades to straw colored drastically. Is he the only one you got? and what are your goals?
Yes, I ordered straight run and ended up with 1 roo and 2 hens. Not planning on showing any obviously, but I was thinking of trying to start breeding a couple breeds to resale. Would he be okay to use just for a hobby type/backyard chick? My though process was if I enjoyed the breeding process and had any success then I could invest in higher quality stock down the road. That being said, I do not want to damage the lineage or produce inferior birds. Again, just getting started on this path so any advice/thoughts would be welcomed.

Yes, I ordered straight run and ended up with 1 roo and 2 hens. Not planning on showing any obviously, but I was thinking of trying to start breeding a couple breeds to resale. Would he be okay to use just for a hobby type/backyard chick? My though process was if I enjoyed the breeding process and had any success then I could invest in higher quality stock down the road. That being said, I do not want to damage the lineage or produce inferior birds. Again, just getting started on this path so any advice/thoughts would be welcomed.
Backyard flock for your on learning purpose they would be great, but i wouldn't sell them for anything other egg layers or meat birds. With a major flaw like that it wouldn't do the breed any good to breed that forward in my opinion, halos are a serious problem that plagues the marans.

Backyard flock for your on learning purpose they would be great, but i wouldn't sell them for anything other egg layers or meat birds. With a major flaw like that it wouldn't do the breed any good to breed that forward in my opinion, halos are a serious problem that plagues the marans.
Im dealing with it myself, and in pullets some of their hackels are lighter than i prefer. Just got to be smart about how you pair them.

Back
Top Bottom