International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

2a533315-0a7f-4849-87e1-b62b8ca4a611-jpeg.1602874

@shepherd6567

his comb has many points .they are not in harmony with each others .they are not in a straight line , the front of the comb is twisted .
Wattles = a little too big ,they have a folding in the front . they should be round and free from any fold or split

select for him hens/pullets with a great comb and you ll amazed about what he can throw as progeny .
he has a lot qualities truck load .

chooks man

View attachment 1602873 View attachment 1602872 View attachment 1602871 View attachment 1602864 Thoughts on this guy. Born April 7 of this year. He’s got some white underfluff in his hackles. @kfelton0002 I think he’s great.

I think he is fantastic.. definitely 100% without a shadow of a doubt a Max and Queen cockerel. He has a lot of great qualities going for him! I am thrilled he turned out so well. I have some of his younger brothers at home that I hope turn out half as nice as him!! I am very proud to be the breeder that produced him. I agree with Chooks man's assessment. His copper color is my favorite quality. He inherited Queen's deeper copper instead of his sire's halo. Thank goodness!! He has the type of his grandmother Sheraz! Love it!! That makes me so very happy! :D

2a533315-0a7f-4849-87e1-b62b8ca4a611-jpeg.1602874

@shepherd6567

his comb has many points .they are not in harmony with each others .they are not in a straight line , the front of the comb is twisted .
Wattles = a little too big ,they have a folding in the front . they should be round and free from any fold or split

select for him hens/pullets with a great comb and you ll amazed about what he can throw as progeny .
he has a lot qualities truck load .

chooks man

I agree 100%. He and many of his siblings inherited their grandmother's twisted comb (Sheraz). @shepherd6567 's cockerel is the full brother to my little show pullet that won reserve of breed and reserve of variety at the Appalachain Classic. She too had a twisted comb. Here is the ribbon she won. The Marans Club sent it to me. :)

20181127_164618.jpg

I agree 100%. He and many of his siblings inherited their grandmother's twisted comb (Sheraz). @shepherd6567 's cockerel is the full brother to my little show pullet that won reserve of breed and reserve of variety at the Appalachain Classic. She too had a twisted comb. Here is the ribbon she won. The Marans Club sent it to me. :)

View attachment 1602988

View attachment 1602988

Ah I see .
the cockerel come from your line .I though I have seen this type of black copper before ,but I could not remember where .

yes you should be very proud to say they are your line of BC marans .

I always said the comb is mainly from the mama hen,

chooks man

View attachment 1602988

This is great! I have several pullets that are looking great also, will post pics when I can. Thanks so much for the oppurtunity!

I think he is fantastic.. definitely 100% without a shadow of a doubt a Max and Queen cockerel. He has a lot of great qualities going for him! I am thrilled he turned out so well. I have some of his younger brothers at home that I hope turn out half as nice as him!! I am very proud to be the breeder that produced him. I agree with Chooks man's assessment. His copper color is my favorite quality. He inherited Queen's deeper copper instead of his sire's halo. Thank goodness!! He has the type of his grandmother Sheraz! Love it!! That makes me so very happy! :D

I am so happy for you. Is he from one of your darker egg laying families? Now I just need to figure how to breed him.

I am so happy for you. Is he from one of your darker egg laying families? Now I just need to figure how to breed him.

Maximus carried darker egg genes because he was half (FRF) which were my darkest layers. Queen lays about a 5. Sometimes it lightens to between a 4 and a 5 as she lays a while but still a good color. And the shape and size of her eggs is really good too. She is one of my favorite hens.

Back
Top Bottom