International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I want to create something more simple: dual purpose, somewhat heavy/meaty, black and lavender colour, naked neck, comb is not important and olive egger.

if I understood well, I can breed araucana roo with a heavy hen so I get chunky chicks. in order to get naked neck olive eggers I should first get blue egg NNs, right?

how can I make sure they will always lay olive eggs? or should I keep them like naked neck easter/olive eggers?

you are alright .first NN blue egg laying hens than cross it to the marans rooster .

the eggs colour is more delicate when passes the F3.

chooks man

I have a question. I have the one cockerel I will be breeding all of my hens to this spring. How do I go about him servicing my 5 breeders and still keep track of who laid which egg?

You could build trap nests. Otherwise you would have to single mate in separate smaller pens. And just move him to a different pen each day. A female only has to be bred once a week to produce fertile eggs.

1543891233936-1981912900.jpg
was really eggcited about the egg in the foreground today. My Marans are laying again, and a few standouts are really showing!

I want to create something more simple: dual purpose, somewhat heavy/meaty, black and lavender colour, naked neck, comb is not important and olive egger.

if I understood well, I can breed araucana roo with a heavy hen so I get chunky chicks. in order to get naked neck olive eggers I should first get blue egg NNs, right?

how can I make sure they will always lay olive eggs? or should I keep them like naked neck easter/olive eggers?

the Araucana Blue egg gene is dominant . so it is easier for you to breed the Araucana rooster to a big chunky NN hen { NN gene is dominant too}. hatch few and select only NN blue egg layer pullets .
next year mate those pullets to Araucana rooster to reinforce the Blue egg gene ,hatch few and select only NN Blue egg layer pullets .those will be your F2 only 25% will be NN but all of them lay Blue eggs .
Now you ll have F2 NN blue egg layer pullet ready to be crossed to Marans Rooster to produce the Marneck easy way .. more selection will be need for the future to keep the eggs well coloured .

all the Best my friend . I hope this method is more simple for you .

if you want it to be more simplified than let me know .I see what I can do .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom