International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

where did you get your marans chooks from /
I can tell the breeders spent a lot amount of time to fix the body type and the type of plumage ,pure black on the hens , Bravo .
now you have to finish the work .fix the tail and the comb .but first let see the egg colors .

chooks man
A local breeder, She had to sell her entire stock due to moving problems. Kept a few of her best to start back up again once she's all settled in so i'll hopefully be getting some more birds from her in 2020.

Egg colors arent the best, But i'm pretty happy with them. Here's a pic of Caviar's egg. (love the names btw ) next to some lavender orp and welsummer eggs.

upload_2018-12-6_10-10-40.png

Last edited:
he is really pretty .pullets line cockerel for sure .
if I name him ,than don t eat him .
love his rich lush hackle and lancets .

name his El Guapo .pretty one in Spanish

chooks man

Thanks! I like it. :highfive:

I couldn't eat him anyway. :D

A local breeder, She had to sell her entire stock due to moving problems. Kept a few of her best to start back up again once she's all settled in so i'll hopefully be getting some more birds from her in 2020.

Egg colors arent the best, But i'm pretty happy with them. Here's a pic of Caviar's egg. (love the names btw ) next to some lavender orph and welsummer eggs.

View attachment 1608999

I like your birds. Did you say you've had the breed before or are these your first? I think you'll really like them.

I like your birds. Did you say you've had the breed before or are these your first? I think you'll really like them.
Thank you, I bought 3 marans pullets before but just as pet, Fox took them before I could even get an egg from them.. So it's sort of a first, I already love them to bits though~

Sorry for the cream legbar intrusion, but i need @Chooks man to give this fella a name!
(Even if that name should be Dinner?) lol
View attachment 1608969

I love the dark barring on your Legbar! That is something I hope to improve upon next year with a new pullet and one of my older hens. That and size. The one thing my Legbar males have in their favor is decent combs but they are definitely a work in progress. Are yours Jill Rees?

I love the dark barring on your Legbar! That is something I hope to improve upon next year with a new pullet and one of my older hens. That and size. The one thing my Legbar males have in their favor is decent combs but they are definitely a work in progress. Are yours Jill Rees?

His comb is massive? Lol
May even end up needing trimmed, but I hope he grows a little more

The male and one of my 5 pullets came from eggs from a member here. I’m not sure what lines they are. I don’t think she knew, or I can’t remember.
The other 4 pullets are supposedly from GFF birds. I only hatched the pair (post office was brutal!) so I bought the other 4 at 3 days old, local guy had hatched them the same day as mine.

His comb is massive? Lol
May even end up needing trimmed, but I hope he grows a little more

The male and one of my 5 pullets came from eggs from a member here. I’m not sure what lines they are. I don’t think she knew, or I can’t remember.
The other 4 pullets are supposedly from GFF birds. I only hatched the pair (post office was brutal!) so I bought the other 4 at 3 days old, local guy had hatched them the same day as mine.

These are the legbars from me right? There was very little, if any Reese line in them as far as I know. Grandpa to your roo was a free boy that I got from someone semi local when I lost my roo. He was very rough looking when I brought him home. He was too upright and had almost no crest but had VERY thick hackle and tail and a smaller comb. He helped bring the comb size down some in the hens.

IMG_2228.JPG

His sons both looked better and with better coloring and they inherited crests from their mothers.

IMG_20180322_133832.jpg

The generation after this (Your roo's generation) I was extremely happy with. I loved the coloring and type of all of them (I am in love with your roo still lol). Unfortunately, nobody wanted legbars in our area. So many people had loaded up on them and were circulating them everywhere so I decided to sell them off. I used the girls and made some sex linked olive eggers with welbar roos them foind them homes. If they were a larger breed that made more sense for food, I probably would've kept them around to work with them more but instead, I made more room for my more popular breeds and favorites. Maybe someday, when I have more room, I'll get back in to them again.

These are the legbars from me right? There was very little, if any Reese line in them as far as I know. Grandpa to your roo was a free boy that I got from someone semi local when I lost my roo. He was very rough looking when I brought him home. He was too upright and had almost no crest but had VERY thick hackle and tail and a smaller comb. He helped bring the comb size down some in the hens.

View attachment 1609078

His sons both looked better and with better coloring and they inherited crests from their mothers.

View attachment 1609079

The generation after this (Your roo's generation) I was extremely happy with. I loved the coloring and type of all of them (I am in love with your roo still lol). Unfortunately, nobody wanted legbars in our area. So many people had loaded up on them and were circulating them everywhere so I decided to sell them off. I used the girls and made some sex linked olive eggers with welbar roos them foind them homes. If they were a larger breed that made more sense for food, I probably would've kept them around to work with them more but instead, I made more room for my more popular breeds and favorites. Maybe someday, when I have more room, I'll get back in to them again.

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. :love
Yes, my roo (newly named 'El Guapo') is from yours. Sadly, I didn't tag the pullet from your eggs, and now I don't know which one she is!

I understand about getting away from them, you have to do what works in your area. I sadly let go of all my OEGBs because they just didn't sell well either, and I needed the space too. I absolutely loved those birds though.

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. :love
Yes, my roo (newly named 'El Guapo') is from yours. Sadly, I didn't tag the pullet from your eggs, and now I don't know which one she is!

I understand about getting away from them, you have to do what works in your area. I sadly let go of all my OEGBs because they just didn't sell well either, and I needed the space too. I absolutely loved those birds though.

Send me some pictures of your girls. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to tell which one she is :)

Back
Top Bottom