International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I dont have a blue but I do have a black. His eyes are marbled and not great but his copper is much better. How hard is it to work with bad eyes?

I have not worked with the marbled eyes. I would think if you breed him to a hen with correct eyes. You would get some with correct eye color. Chooks man or someone else with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure. I am so sorry you lost your rooster.

I dont have a blue but I do have a black. His eyes are marbled and not great but his copper is much better. How hard is it to work with bad eyes?

we work with what we have. nature is not computerized so you will get some nice chicks and cull hard.

my experience: 2 bad birds produced better chicks than 2 fairly good birds. you never know. that's why we should get a lot of chicks.

Lost my blue copper Chester last night. He was such a good roo and I was really excited to pair him up with 1 of my girls. His comb was huuuuge and he lost a couple points last year but this weather really wrecked him. I think I probably should have cut it off :(

Darn it. So sorry for your loss. :(

I've been watching this hen. She's around 2-3 years old now, and I believe that she is mottled instead of birchen(black silver)
She could be a mutant! I'm wondering also if she could be the one carrying recessive white, as I hatched one white Marans chick last year and I've been puzzled as to where it came from.
IMG_20181214_083307242.jpg
IMG_20181214_083243728_TOP.jpg
IMG_20181214_082815479_TOP.jpg
IMG_20181214_082855000.jpg
she comes from my first line of birchen. Some of her relatives get occasional white wing tips and sometimes white foot feathers.

I've been watching this hen. She's around 2-3 years old now, and I believe that she is mottled instead of birchen(black silver)
She could be a mutant! I'm wondering also if she could be the one carrying recessive white, as I hatched one white Marans chick last year and I've been puzzled as to where it came from.
View attachment 1615833 View attachment 1615834 View attachment 1615835 View attachment 1615836she comes from my first line of birchen. Some of her relatives get occasional white wing tips and sometimes white foot feathers.

She's gorgeous! If she were mine, I'd be trying to use her to create more like her!

View attachment 1615833 View attachment 1615834 View attachment 1615835 View attachment 1615836she comes from my first line of birchen. Some of her relatives get occasional white wing tips and sometimes white foot feathers.

first .she is gorgeous .great body type and good eyes color .

is she always has a mottled spot on her ,or just when she become more older?
she carries a Mottled gene { mo } for sure , but for the mottled pattern to appear she need to have both pair of mo genes . so her parent had 1 gene each .
I m also thinking she is more of black unicolor , Extended black not Birchen.

the white chicks can come out of any hen ,but the rooster has to have one gene too of the recessive white .

need a lot test mating to purify your line .

chooks man

This is the silver Cuckoo. I don't have a place for just her. She has no mate. I would need help to know what to use her for in my breeding program.

she is nice .love her blue color well laced no much barring . it is a problem with a Blue cuckoo , the pattern does not show up nicely like on a black.
I bred them before and I ll no do it again ,

if you want to breed this pattern ,here who you do it ..
breed her to your Birchen cockerel ,all her pullets will be Birchen ,some blue other black
and all the cockerels will be barred cuckoo ,some blue other black .
keep a black cuckoo cockerel and mate him back to her and you ll get double barred cuckoo cockerel and barred cuckoo pullets ,some black other blue .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom