International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

View attachment 1680431
100_3705.JPG
I have a question about egg color. My first and only BCM hen came to point of lay in oct/nov. days are short/cold here in Utah in the winter, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't get an egg from her. I hatched her from shipped eggs from a breeder in Idaho who breeds specifically for dark eggs with French BCM. Well, all my hens have picked back up laying with the days starting to get longer. My BCM hen is and has been doing the "sqaut" for several weeks now. I have yet to find a dark egg in the nest boxes. Pictured are the egg she hatched out of, nice brown egg and what I suspect, but hope is not her egg! It's so light! I was hoping for an egg shell the same color as the one she hatched out of. It's possible my welsummer, who is now to the point of lay, could've laid it, but all of my other hens lay tan, cream or blue/green eggs. They are in the coop and a large run 24/7, so there's no chance my BCM is hiding her eggs elsewhere. Do any of you think this light brown egg could be hers? And if it is, any chance her eggs could darken some with time?View attachment 1680226 View attachment 1680225
I love my Marans! I love my hens! I bought great chics from a great breeder. I raised those chics to nice hens. Those hens laid nice dark eggs! I only hatched from the dark eggs. Those pullets started laying in Dec Jan like 28 weeks old. The eggs are much lighter than their mother. I think the cock has a lot of influence on the egg color?? We are still hanging between 10-20 degrees. Next month, March I am changing cocks and in another 12 months I will know if that was right. TOMView attachment 1680431

Attachments

• 100_3703.JPG
    100_3703.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 11
View attachment 1680431 View attachment 1680432
I love my Marans! I love my hens! I bought great chics from a great breeder. I raised those chics to nice hens. Those hens laid nice dark eggs! I only hatched from the dark eggs. Those pullets started laying in Dec Jan like 28 weeks old. The eggs are much lighter than their mother. I think the cock has a lot of influence on the egg color?? We are still hanging between 10-20 degrees. Next month, March I am changing cocks and in another 12 months I will know if that was right. TOMView attachment 1680431
Wow, that is quite a big difference in color. Interesting. Yes, I guess the cockerels genes would be coming unto play too...

Hey everyone! I need to do some catching up with this thread when I get time. School and work and life is keeping me busy these days. Still no chicks yet this year but I hope to turn on the incubator by March if the breeders are laying well by then. My free ranging layers are laying fantastic but my breeder pen of Marans have been laying very sporadically. Hoping they get in gear soon.

I am getting a lovely color assortment from the layers though. Here is a picture of today's eggs minus the muddy ones. :D

20190221_215711.jpg

good news .
my friend who I bought my marans pullets from in December . splash /dominant white and black copper . She agree to sale me all her white/splash stock .12 ,some Black copper .2 pullets .and she will tell me more this Saturday . I told her I ll take every single marans she want to sale .

She made my day .so happy .
last week I lost 4 chooks I got from her . Dominant white cockerel ,the Blue cuckoo cockerel .splash pullet and a black pullet . plus other layer hers . I lost them to the fox .

price to pay tell my little dog get bigger . the place is too big for just one dog .the Fox is too smart . I wish I can breed a dog as smart as the fox . just a wish .

here the photo of the chooks she want to sale me .some of them any way

can not download it .I ll try latter

chooks man

I am so sorry to hear you lost some chooks! That is such a bummer! We've had varmint troubles of our own as well. I had an entire pen of cull pullets from Queen x Max wiped out and the cockerel that was in there with them was killed as well. Believe it or not.. Sheraz along with a spare blue copper pullet was in the pen and were the only survivors. At least it wasn't my breeder pen!
:th

I am so sorry to hear you lost some chooks! That is such a bummer! We've had varmint troubles of our own as well. I had an entire pen of cull pullets from Queen x Max wiped out and the cockerel that was in there with them was killed as well. Believe it or not.. Sheraz along with a spare blue copper pullet was in the pen and were the only survivors. At least it wasn't my breeder pen!
:th

I was lucky .he killed mostly the layer { hybrid cross } only 4 marans .
a good thing now I m baying more marans . breeders stock .
my little dog is getting bigger now ,she goes for the walk with the older dog around the place .

chooks man

Hey everyone! I need to do some catching up with this thread when I get time. School and work and life is keeping me busy these days. Still no chicks yet this year but I hope to turn on the incubator by March if the breeders are laying well by then. My free ranging layers are laying fantastic but my breeder pen of Marans have been laying very sporadically. Hoping they get in gear soon.

I am getting a lovely color assortment from the layers though. Here is a picture of today's eggs minus the muddy ones. :D

View attachment 1680705

they are lovely . you should be happy about them.

chooks man

View attachment 1680705

welcome back! we missed you.

Back
Top Bottom