International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

good for you to have extra pens .
are you breeding only from Big Jackson this year ?

chooks man
I've already gotten quite a few from Mr Big, so I moved him over because I want to be sure Jackson is getting some too.
Is having recessive traits pop up occasionally a very bad thing or just an annoyance? Some buyers get very upset when I let them know that I've had recessive white show up and that there's a chance that some might be carriers of recessive white. I didn't think it was a big deal or a sign of impurity.

I've already gotten quite a few from Mr Big, so I moved him over because I want to be sure Jackson is getting some too.
Is having recessive traits pop up occasionally a very bad thing or just an annoyance? Some buyers get very upset when I let them know that I've had recessive white show up and that there's a chance that some might be carriers of recessive white. I didn't think it was a big deal or a sign of impurity.

the recessive white is easy to breed out .few generation and is done ,
Back crossing / test mating / your breeders will help you to get there fast .

Here the method to breed it out .
your cockerels and some of your hens are a carrier of the recessive white gene, so they are split white chooks .
First you need to keep one of they white pullet to test mate with her a future cockerels it is better if you keep a white cockerel too to test mate the future pullets .
keep all the birchen cockerels and pullets you hatched this year , the best one any way but a large number .

Second = when all the young stock start laying ,you have to start test mating them .I know the eggs from a young pullet are not good to breed with ,but they are only for test mating .you can give them away to some client as layer .
Mate the Birchen cockerel to the white pullet as single mating . hatch some eggs from them ,any cockerel who throw some white chicks is a carrier .Cull
any cockerel with just a Black chicks ,he is a no split white ,and a pure Birchen .
Do a same thing with your birchen pullets .test mate them to a white cockerel ,half sibling .only pullets throwing a black chicks are keept and they ll be pure .

one year of test mating and selective breeding ,will get you out of the trouble .

the recessive white and a Dominant white gentle genes to work with ,easy to breed out if you put the time and a planning , Ha THE PARASITIC WHITE is a different story .night mere to breed out .

chooks man

IMG_2260.JPG
Update on the disappointing light BCM egg I posted about a few weeks ago. It must've been my welsummer's eggs that were that light brown color because I found this beauty in the coop when I got home last night. Yay! What a nice surprise

I have a question about egg color. My first and only BCM hen came to point of lay in oct/nov. days are short/cold here in Utah in the winter, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't get an egg from her. I hatched her from shipped eggs from a breeder in Idaho who breeds specifically for dark eggs with French BCM. Well, all my hens have picked back up laying with the days starting to get longer. My BCM hen is and has been doing the "sqaut" for several weeks now. I have yet to find a dark egg in the nest boxes. Pictured are the egg she hatched out of, nice brown egg and what I suspect, but hope is not her egg! It's so light! I was hoping for an egg shell the same color as the one she hatched out of. It's possible my welsummer, who is now to the point of lay, could've laid it, but all of my other hens lay tan, cream or blue/green eggs. They are in the coop and a large run 24/7, so there's no chance my BCM is hiding her eggs elsewhere. Do any of you think this light brown egg could be hers? And if it is, any chance her eggs could darken some with time?View attachment 1680226 View attachment 1680225

Good luck .nice to see some of Duke s progeny .

agree with you a white chooks when pure are striking ,
I have some young white Recessive .pure white pullet ,let see how they look when fully matured .

chooks man

Duke's progeny are still in the incubator. His girls are finally laying good enough so that I could set eggs. The cockerel I posted is from my line, son of Max and Queen. Line C.

I definitely have high hopes for Duke's offspring. And I am getting some good egg color from the females he is covering. Can't wait until they start hatching. :)

View attachment 1707929 Update on the disappointing light BCM egg I posted about a few weeks ago. It must've been my welsummer's eggs that were that light brown color because I found this beauty in the coop when I got home last night. Yay! What a nice surprise

gorgeous .happy for you .
lovely eggs basket too .

chooks man

Duke's progeny are still in the incubator. His girls are finally laying good enough so that I could set eggs. The cockerel I posted is from my line, son of Max and Queen. Line C.

I definitely have high hopes for Duke's offspring. And I am getting some good egg color from the females he is covering. Can't wait until they start hatching. :)

good to hear .can t wait to see them .
good luck.

chooks man

20190307_113457-jpg.1696935

@kfelton0002

this cockerel has a best head in all the marans you have bred
.faultless comb
Faultless wattles ,
Faultless Ears lobe ,
Faultless eyes ,

he should be marked as the comb s breeder 1 Class .

curious to see how you are going to work with him .what hen you have in mind .

chooks man

Thank you! I'm really glad you like him. I was thinking about breeding him back to his dam (Queen). I will raise a few chicks from Duke and Queen first this spring and then clean Queen out a little later in the year and put her with the cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom