International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

100_3536.JPG
100_3538.JPG
100_3557.JPG
100_3559.JPG
Thank you Chooks Man. All my cocks have too much copper!! I like my hens to have copper. I have read this thread more than once and will continue to do so. It is all about balance. There are two colors in this years pullets, copper and mahogany. I will go ahead and bred this cock to the three hens that produced these beautiful pullets. I processed 20 cockerels at 18 to 20 weeks! Love to eat CHICKEN
What to do with the new pullets. I have 3 cockerels out of 30 this year, need them to grow out. Not related to these pullets. One has no copper in his chest, but he is small. TOM
( pics of sire of these pullets)

You're very welcome! :D

Yes we have had issues with them coming off which is why I only use them for tagging a bird I have my eye on so I can pick them out again easily. Wing banding is permanent and lasts throughout the life of the bird. I'm glad it has worked out for you. Wing bands get pulled out every once in a blue moon but not very often. My motto is that if I pick up a bird without a wing band, they are not to be bred. I think I have only encountered one bird this year that lost his wing band.. an American Game cockerel. It got ripped out accidentally but he was young and I caught it in time to know who he was.
The two last Black Copper pullets I got from Harvey have not been wing band. They are the only two without wing bands. They are big and I am afraid to band them. Have you put wing bands on adult Marans before?

View attachment 1978943 View attachment 1978944 View attachment 1978945 View attachment 1978946 Thank you Chooks Man. All my cocks have too much copper!! I like my hens to have copper. I have read this thread more than once and will continue to do so. It is all about balance. There are two colors in this years pullets, copper and mahogany. I will go ahead and bred this cock to the three hens that produced these beautiful pullets. I processed 20 cockerels at 18 to 20 weeks! Love to eat CHICKEN
What to do with the new pullets. I have 3 cockerels out of 30 this year, need them to grow out. Not related to these pullets. One has no copper in his chest, but he is small. TOM
( pics of sire of these pullets)

colour wise he is stunning .the rest I can not tell .need a better photos from all angles .
the back of his comb is not tidy many extra points . his wattle are very small.
Ah the pullets and the cockerels .not related ,great stuff . you breed the best of them together ,
first need to see photos of the cockerels .as many photos as you can don t be shy .

chooks man

100_3536-jpg.1978943

@Old Man Tom
we can see in this photo his comb very well . he has a correct number of point 6 but the lobe { back of the comb } has many small points .not good .
his body pattern and quality of his copper is out of this world .
you can breed his back to his daughter to reinforce and conserve the copper .one condition ,select only the pullets with a faultless comb .

chooks man

The two last Black Copper pullets I got from Harvey have not been wing band. They are the only two without wing bands. They are big and I am afraid to band them. Have you put wing bands on adult Marans before?

Yeah older birds do fine with it. They may fuss a bit but it's fine to wing band them at any age. I've wing banded day old birds on up to adults.

Thanks Kayla, I should have banded when they first came. I am just so buisy all the time. It just didn't get done.

you don t need to band them . you have names now ,so what is the use for the leg band .
they are helpful when the chicks are small and they all look a same . but you don t have this problem ,your are adult and you know them buy names ,
my breeders are not tugged { tags removed when they entered the breeding pen } they still have they tag number /colour recorded in my note book ,
each breeder has it own sheet of all the information ,every thing I know a bout them is recorded .
the young ones is a different story 100 and 100 of them ,I will need time to know them ,I know quite few now .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom