International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

One of the cockerels I saved back now has a huge high tail... It seems to have spring up on me! I'm a little disappointed about it... It's long and it's just about squirrel tail angled too.

that is bad . do you other cockerels ?
you had many nice ones ,where they are all going?

chooks man

that is bad . do you other cockerels ?
you had many nice ones ,where they are all going?

chooks man
Just the one
15780726770306742350259726106256.jpg
15780727091663249852644502512589.jpg
I pulled him out as soon as I realized his tail had gone wierd on me.

View attachment 1993308 View attachment 1993310 View attachment 1993311 View attachment 1993313 View attachment 1993314
Poor blue boy tried to pick a fight at the gate and knocked off the tip of his beak. I've since blocked vision there but he still is breeding and eating so he will heal, but it's definitely something I'm not really happy about

they look great. I like the Blue he look cool with his short beak .like the commercial breeding stock .
always select the small ,full tail for the cockerels and small and thin .
if you work with hen that have a big full square tail ,you will get cockerels with a long tail .
chooks man

my bcm pullet with yellow legs and whitish earlobes started to lay #4 (more or less) eggs. she will definitely be an OE mom. I hope that her offspring will lay olive eggs. does it make difference if the hen is brown or blue egg layer?

(I will probably use araucana roo.)

she is a heavier type and I would like to breed meaty olive eggers as many of them will be cockerels.

my bcm pullet with yellow legs and whitish earlobes started to lay #4 (more or less) eggs. she will definitely be an OE mom. I hope that her offspring will lay olive eggs. does it make difference if the hen is brown or blue egg layer?

(I will probably use araucana roo.)

she is a heavier type and I would like to breed meaty olive eggers as many of them will be cockerels.
I've had great interest in people for sexlinked olive eggers using marans roo over cream legbar hens. Everyone likes purchasing a sure thing female chick, and the eggs are just so pretty.

But, these olive eggers are definitely smaller than using a big beefy hen.

pullets yes I will have plenty but not cockerels . I have a high number but the faultless cockerels are only few to be seen .
the cockerels I m trying to select should have not faults . complete breeders.only need few .
tomorrow is a day of truth .let see .

DW X Unicorn cockerels are all faultless . before I hatched those little guys I thought I have a lot nice cockerels ,but not after I hatched DW X Un cockerels ,they made the rest of the cockerels look very bad . they set a high standard for me to follow .

lot photos next weeks for sure .only working with chooks this weekend ,so I ll have my camera with me .
I want you guys to see those cockerels I m talking about .

chooks man

Can't wait to see them! DW and Unicorn's offspring sound exquisite. :)

I hope everyone had a happy new year and Chooks Man, I hope you are staying safe.

I am beginning to think hard on the pairing for this breeding season and need a little guidance. I now have two bcm roosters (thanks Kfelton) and I am not sure the best way to use both Roos over just two pullets. Single pairing or alternate Roos over both pullets for a few weeks or month. The first would give me two distinct lines to work with but fewer eggs to incubate this year per line. The later would give me more eggs per line to hatch but both lines would still share some genetics.

Pics of me four birds to follow.

Pullets A and B. They are half sisters, both have side sprigs, good feathered feet, low tails and lay a 5-6 egg.

Pullet A (on left) is smaller in mass (haven’t weighed any birds) than B with little taper to tail. Little copper in hackles.

Pullet B (on right) is a plump girl wide all the way back. She is all black, no copper in hackles
6A995262-29DC-42FB-A873-B7C4356B516F.jpeg

Pic of pullet B from top.
E0CEF3C6-AB2E-4E2C-BAAD-A90CC7341EC4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom