International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well, split wing and side sprigs continue to rule the flock. 8 of the 11 first hatch were boys and all 8 have split wing, 2 with what looks like a side sprig. They are 7 weeks. I haven’t gone over the 3 girls yet but expect similar results. The second hatch of 17 is only two weeks now so will probably be a couple more weeks before I can see how they are turning out. Both of these hatches from same cock and hens, KY boy “Buster” over my only two hens. Buster is very human aggressive so I planned on only keeping hens from his line, hoping for the better copper.

My other cock bird is half sibling to my hens and does express split wing. This leads me to believe the hens are carriers of the gene. I think Kayla told me Buster’s half brother expresses spilt wing.

so now I guess I am at a crossroads of diving into years of correcting my current line or starting a new. Either way I enjoy the birds, except the aggressive punks.

there is a bright side to this years hatching but it is not my Marans. Moses my new cream legbar cock has thrown some very nice chicks and I am excited about those. I also did a small hatch of olive Eggers and had 6 of 6 turn out to be pullets.

I will try and get some pics for everyone. I have been crazy busy with work, bathroom remodel and birds. I usually only last 30 minutes or so once I stop and sit down before I fall asleep.

I hope everyone is well,
Ben

What if Blaze is also parasitic white carrier? Jasper has no white that I have seen.

what we don t know is not importance to us .
what importance to us as breeders is what we see not what we think will happen .
if Blaze has not any white on his legs or any other part of his body then he is good as a first year untested breeder . his progeny will speak for him . does he ? or does he not ?

Jasper is the father of the 2 cockerels .if he is free from the white like you are saying .them breed from him too .

A reason I want you to breed more of Blaze before he get too nasty and you have to cull him . his Black copper plumage is a step forward you don t want to go backward a year or 2 in you breeding program .

if you can breed 2/3 of you total chicks hatch of this year from Blaze and 1/3 from Jasper than is good diversity in there between the Sire { Blue plumage} and the Son { black plumage } .

chooks man

hello, I have a chance to get BLACK COPPER MARAN. 1 rooster and 8 hens for $200 from what I have learned they are rare and great birds. Roosters are kinda friendly but not overly aggressive.
Could someone help me out on learning more about the breed before I shell out the $$

we can help you with a Standard of the breed but not any specific strain or varieties. you have to ask the breeder or the seller as many information as you can .
photos of them from different angles are a great help .
photos of the heads .they feet and the tail .

good luck
chooks man

Well, split wing and side sprigs continue to rule the flock. 8 of the 11 first hatch were boys and all 8 have split wing, 2 with what looks like a side sprig. They are 7 weeks. I haven’t gone over the 3 girls yet but expect similar results. The second hatch of 17 is only two weeks now so will probably be a couple more weeks before I can see how they are turning out. Both of these hatches from same cock and hens, KY boy “Buster” over my only two hens. Buster is very human aggressive so I planned on only keeping hens from his line, hoping for the better copper.

My other cock bird is half sibling to my hens and does express split wing. This leads me to believe the hens are carriers of the gene. I think Kayla told me Buster’s half brother expresses spilt wing.

so now I guess I am at a crossroads of diving into years of correcting my current line or starting a new. Either way I enjoy the birds, except the aggressive punks.

there is a bright side to this years hatching but it is not my Marans. Moses my new cream legbar cock has thrown some very nice chicks and I am excited about those. I also did a small hatch of olive Eggers and had 6 of 6 turn out to be pullets.

I will try and get some pics for everyone. I have been crazy busy with work, bathroom remodel and birds. I usually only last 30 minutes or so once I stop and sit down before I fall asleep.

I hope everyone is well,
Ben

very sad to hear that .
let see if I got alright = Buster from KY has not Split wings but his half brother has a split wings .
the 2 hens are from your line ,they don t have split wings ? or they have ?
chicks you got from this trio are majority Split wing ?.= if yes ,then it is recessive gene effect . both parent are carriers .

wait for more information from you before I go deep into breeding from those chooks .

great you are happy with you CLB chicks and OE .
chooks man

what we don t know is not importance to us .
what importance to us as breeders is what we see not what we think will happen .
if Blaze has not any white on his legs or any other part of his body then he is good as a first year untested breeder . his progeny will speak for him . does he ? or does he not ?

Jasper is the father of the 2 cockerels .if he is free from the white like you are saying .them breed from him too .

A reason I want you to breed more of Blaze before he get too nasty and you have to cull him . his Black copper plumage is a step forward you don t want to go backward a year or 2 in you breeding program .

if you can breed 2/3 of you total chicks hatch of this year from Blaze and 1/3 from Jasper than is good diversity in there between the Sire { Blue plumage} and the Son { black plumage } .

chooks man
Blaze has a white tail feather remember. I thought it was from damage but I am not sure. I am thinking breading from origenal rooster might be the only way to get rid of the parasitic white.

new hens house for the pullets Group #4 and #5 .merged together as one group . they are POL now . this hens house is 20ft long , 8 ft wide and 8 ft high . covered from all 3 sides .
pullets will be staying in there for 4 days and night to get used to it and get used to each other .
lot fighting . free ranging pullets sister .hatched by mama hen and grow up with the older hens are the champions .they beat all the other pullets .dominant like they mama Unicorn .
4 VS 50 = 4 are winners and top girls .
P1120599.JPG

Attachments

• P1120646.JPG
    P1120646.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 3
Blaze has a white tail feather remember. I thought it was from damage but I am not sure. I am thinking breading from origenal rooster might be the only way to get rid of the parasitic white.

I think you are alright if he has white on his tail ,
problem the original rooster will give you less BC chicks to work with next year .
if you think you have hatched enough BC pullets from Blaze ,than finish him off .and breed to Jasper .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom