International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I can look around and see if I can find single boxes that way you don't have to purchase 6. It is too hot now anyway to ship. I can let you know if I can financially swing the shipping cost when the weather cools. Life has just hit us blow after blow lately. This has been a really bad year all the way around.
Yes, It has been a really bad year for sure. We are still waiting for electrical and getting our house fixed from the storm. I have another little wrinkle in plans. I was telling my husband last night there may be a couple people wanting me to ship them birds. He was like your not shipping any birds. We had company so I didn't get to really talk to him. I hope he wasn't serious!

Woo! All my pullets are laying! Plus, my Blue who just went broody started laying Again and her eggs went a full shade darker than they were before. Finally getting some dark eggs from my own girls in my hands

I probably only have 1 pullet I would breed from.

what’s anyones thoughts on setting up a breeding program? I’d probably like to hatch twice a year. I’d love to never have to bring in another bird once I get going.

should I look for a boy to pair breed this girl I have to setup breeding pens from their offspring? If so, should the boy be from a totally separate line or from the same breeder?

should I go back to the same breeder this winter and hatch for a bunch more pullets to try and get more to start with foundation wise?

If I were to start with just a pair, should they come from completely different lines, or is the mixing of lines a kiss of death?

View attachment 2218004

really nice my friend . now you have your hand full of gorgeous eggs .
Ah breeding programs . many ways possible to goes on in building any line .
most important thing is not how many birds and now many differents blood line to start with . the important thing is the birds you start with are more colser to the SOP as possible if possible even just a pair or trio . no need 100 birds to breed few good ones .
if you are happy with the birds you got from your breeders { if they don t have much cull left to be done} them get more from him/her and keep the line going with your own twist .
if your birds have too much culling left in them ,then you need to get cockerel from different breeder . or fertile eggs ,
I like to start with fertile eggs .that will give me a chance to see the actual egg rather than asking the breeder . plus I can mark each chick recording to the egg they come out from . different eggs are normally laid by different hens . I can see they growths pattern ,fast grower or slow grower etc..................

different birds from different blood lines with major fault does not help to build any line ,even if they are not related .

chooks man

Yes, It has been a really bad year for sure. We are still waiting for electrical and getting our house fixed from the storm. I have another little wrinkle in plans. I was telling my husband last night there may be a couple people wanting me to ship them birds. He was like your not shipping any birds. We had company so I didn't get to really talk to him. I hope he wasn't serious!

my friend you have to tel him you have a good line ,you have to make it pay for it self .
lot peoples are interested to get they hands on good marans stock , so why just butcher them .
if you think is going to cause you troubles ,so don t worry about it .do what good for you and your husband . what work for you is better then I m suggesting .

chooks man

my friend you have to tel him you have a good line ,you have to make it pay for it self .
lot peoples are interested to get they hands on good marans stock , so why just butcher them .
if you think is going to cause you troubles ,so don t worry about it .do what good for you and your husband . what work for you is better then I m suggesting .

chooks man
I think he is worried about a few different things. One being it just puts more on our plate. The other is the risk of shipping birds and them dying in shipping. Third is with the cost of shipping being so high. We really don't feel right charging for the birds but if we don't charge it isn't worth all the extra stress. He is the type of person that he would rather lose money then feel like he is ripping someone off. He would feel that way with the cost of shipping being that much. Our plates are so full as it is. So.... Idk. He had mentioned this before but I just didn't think he was really too serious about it. I brought it up last night and he was no your not shipping birds. We will see when I get the chance to sit down and talk to him about it. I know soon we will be knee deep in electrical and house/ roof repair. Shipping couldn't happen till like September too hot in July and August. The first few hatches would be fully grown by then and probably wouldn't fit in the boxes. So we will see what happens! Got lots of stuff to work out first.

Woo! All my pullets are laying! Plus, my Blue who just went broody started laying Again and her eggs went a full shade darker than they were before. Finally getting some dark eggs from my own girls in my hands

I probably only have 1 pullet I would breed from.

what’s anyones thoughts on setting up a breeding program? I’d probably like to hatch twice a year. I’d love to never have to bring in another bird once I get going.

should I look for a boy to pair breed this girl I have to setup breeding pens from their offspring? If so, should the boy be from a totally separate line or from the same breeder?

should I go back to the same breeder this winter and hatch for a bunch more pullets to try and get more to start with foundation wise?

If I were to start with just a pair, should they come from completely different lines, or is the mixing of lines a kiss of death?

View attachment 2218004

Those are beautiful eggs.

really nice my friend . now you have your hand full of gorgeous eggs .
Ah breeding programs . many ways possible to goes on in building any line .
most important thing is not how many birds and now many differents blood line to start with . the important thing is the birds you start with are more colser to the SOP as possible if possible even just a pair or trio . no need 100 birds to breed few good ones .
if you are happy with the birds you got from your breeders { if they don t have much cull left to be done} them get more from him/her and keep the line going with your own twist .
if your birds have too much culling left in them ,then you need to get cockerel from different breeder . or fertile eggs ,
I like to start with fertile eggs .that will give me a chance to see the actual egg rather than asking the breeder . plus I can mark each chick recording to the egg they come out from . different eggs are normally laid by different hens . I can see they growths pattern ,fast grower or slow grower etc..................

different birds from different blood lines with major fault does not help to build any line ,even if they are not related .

chooks man
Thank you. I’ve been feeling I’d like to set up a trio to start from, but I’d really like to have my hens at least a year old or more before they’re used for breeding the first of “my” stock.

Chooksman, I think Ace is out as a breeder. I noticed some things on him I didn't like. He is the only one left with a white wing feather. I know he has a lot of color on his chest but I got a closer look and he has quite a bit of shafting. What do you think? We have more in batch 3 and 4. Last picture of Black Jack's chest. When you zoom you can see a little spot of color and maybe one line. I know they only get more color and possibly shafting when they get older. 20200629_115109.jpg 20200629_115103.jpg 20200629_115813.jpg

Thank you. I’ve been feeling I’d like to set up a trio to start from, but I’d really like to have my hens at least a year old or more before they’re used for breeding the first of “my” stock.

trio is a nice start .
breeding from young pullets is not good ,they have to pass they first year ,better to breed from them after they they first molt .

my pullets I breed last year ,they where big ,but nothing compare to how really big are they now after they finished they first molt .they are huge hens .not laying yet .love to see the size of they eggs .

a best breeding practice is to have rotation breeding program ,what that mean is to have adult hens and rooster plus pullets and cockerels .
year 1 you breed the adult hens with a young cockerels to mix the old and the young .no degradation in the potency of the stable genes inheritance .

year2 you breed last year pullets ,they will be hens now with the older rooster 3 years and over .
this practice need only one breeding pen , one pullets pen . one cockerels pen .plus the nursery /youngster small area .

this practice is design to maintain the line ,NOT to build the line . building a line take more time and different methods at different breeding stages .

chooks man

Chooksman, I think Ace is out as a breeder. I noticed some things on him I didn't like. He is the only one left with a white wing feather. I know he has a lot of color on his chest but I got a closer look and he has quite a bit of shafting. What do you think? We have more in batch 3 and 4. Last picture of Black Jack's chest. When you zoom you can see a little spot of color and maybe one line. I know they only get more color and possibly shafting when they get older.View attachment 2218613View attachment 2218615View attachment 2218620

you are just on such a high alert . he still young ,the white will goes away for sure .his chest look great to me . will become more tidy and define when he grow older .
if you have better younger cockerels then him ,than it is ok to dismiss him .
you are ignoring how gorgeous is his copper and how advance is his shoulder coloration .
don t panic let him do more growing .

cockerel with early shoulder coloration will give daughter with a complete hackle as young age 6/7 weeks .

there is relation between shoulder coloration and chest marking ,both are controlled by Autossomal genes ,

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom