International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

It is normal for a chick that hatched from a BLC pair.
It is a reason why I keep saying to produce a correct BLC the sire should BCM and the hen. BLC
This chick is a cull
Chooks man

so best blues are a black cock over blue hen? Are the resulting blacks worth anything to the program?

is BLC/BLC best to make splash? Are the resulting black and blues worth anything?

@RoosterML
@BenTN

Thank you both. I have a lot to learn about all of this. I'm very interested in learning about the genetics. I know I need a diversified flock so that I'm not doubling up on faults or developing health problems associated with too much line breeding but I know there's a time when line breeding in also very beneficial. I have a long way to go to understand all of this and I'll be asking a lot of "newbie" questions here as i go along. Breeding to the French SOP is of the utmost importance to me. That's as far as I have gotten in creating a game plan for my flock right now. I'm very much in the learning stage... like a sponge trying to soak up knowledge so thanks for the input. My 'flock' consists of a single hatchling from July 8th, and five chicks I picked up from a breeder hatched on July 13th. I have 23 eggs (different breeder) in the incubator due to hatch on August 6th.
In the coming months, I hope to keep learning as they all grow and then we will see what sort of quality I'm starting with.

I surely have a lot to learn now that I have selected the FBCM as my main breed. I have found it easier to sell the extra Roos along with the benefits of crossing with others like Legbar and Ameraucana. Very happy with the offspring. I’ll likely never hatch a high amount of birds but so far within the first 3-4 months I probably hatched close to 75. Just an all around fun process.

so best blues are a black cock over blue hen? Are the resulting blacks worth anything to the program?

is BLC/BLC best to make splash? Are the resulting black and blues worth anything?
Ok, so I never do this so please correct me Chooksman if I am wrong. I don't like to reply. Since I don't feel I know enough. Chooksman is the expert. I am going to take a stab at it. It will also work Blue cock over Black hens. To get the best Blue. Becauce blue doesn't breed true Blue X Blue you will get Blue, black and splash. This pairing will also produce various shades of blue. Not consistent. Not good! Now the big debate some say not to keep BC from BC X BLC that the black won't be deep black. It will ruin your BC forever. Not true I have done it. My Blaze is proof. He came from Blue X Blue. He is not perfect but high quality. Nice deep black. This is my mean rooster Blaze and a picture of one of his sons. Unfortunately Blaze has parasitic white that developed later. Now the work to breed it out.

Screenshot_20200719-080518_Gallery.jpg
20200629_115704.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I never do this so correct me Chooksman if I am wrong. I don't like to reply. Since chooksman is the expert but I am going to take a stab at it. It will also work Blue cock over Black hens. To get the best Blue. Becauce blue doesn't breed true Blue X Blue you will get Blue, black and splash. This pairing will also produce various shades of blue. Not consistent. Not good! Now the big debate some say not to keep BC from BC X BLC that the black won't be deep black. It will ruin your BC forever. Not true I have done it. My Blaze is proof. He came from Blue X Blue. He is not perfect but high quality. Nice deep black. This is my mean rooster Blaze and a picture of one of his sons. Unfortunately Blaze has parasitic white that developed later. Now the work to breed it out.

View attachment 2252007
View attachment 2252010
I think dont be afraid to share what you know or are working on even mistakes help us all through learning.

love to see that even if it’s not preferable by some that blaze came from such a pairing.

@RoosterML
@BenTN

Thank you both. I have a lot to learn about all of this. I'm very interested in learning about the genetics. I know I need a diversified flock so that I'm not doubling up on faults or developing health problems associated with too much line breeding but I know there's a time when line breeding in also very beneficial. I have a long way to go to understand all of this and I'll be asking a lot of "newbie" questions here as i go along. Breeding to the French SOP is of the utmost importance to me. That's as far as I have gotten in creating a game plan for my flock right now. I'm very much in the learning stage... like a sponge trying to soak up knowledge so thanks for the input. My 'flock' consists of a single hatchling from July 8th, and five chicks I picked up from a breeder hatched on July 13th. I have 23 eggs (different breeder) in the incubator due to hatch on August 6th.
In the coming months, I hope to keep learning as they all grow and then we will see what sort of quality I'm starting with.

The very best advice i can give you would be to start waaay back on page 1 of this thread and read, read, read everything. It will take days, maybe weeks. Thats what I did.

Get a dedicated notebook. Take notes because there will be valuable information. Excellent advice, suggestions and breed info. Its all here.

Back
Top Bottom