International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

P1130116.JPG

correct type BCL pullet 7 month old .no hackle marking .
the cockerel is good type too late maturing . parasitic white on his tail plus his shoulder luck to red color .

chooks man

Finally sitting down the last week to start going through this entire and I’m just on page 25 of the thread. WOW how lucky we are to have this thread with all of this information. I can’t wait to continue and learn. I’m keeping a list of questions in a book and marking them off as they get answered in the thread, but I have some planning questions

I’m making my plans for the fall when I want to finish setting up the beginning of my pens. I’ve got these three BCMs that lay 7 and 8 eggs. If my first goal is egg color and then standards, should I keep these hens in consideration, regardless of their type? I can take some updated photos of the hens at 28 weeks.

Is mixing BBS in not advisable for egg color?

if I brought in someone else’s dark egg line, I’ll go backwards in egg color and who knows what else? I should stick with the same line? Just wondering if I should take as much time to find a new line to mix with these hens or stick with what I’ve got....

What is the preferred age for evaluating cockerels? Pullets can be evaluated once they lay to include egg color in the analysis?

Updated photos:

1 best overall? Lays an egg that was spotted with almost black flecks. Slightly more oblong egg that is evening out in color now and almost a 7.
ED3CC07C-0189-4FA5-8C43-1EE0DBD2902B.jpeg

2. Lays the darkest egg. Consistently an 8. Her cushioning seems to have flattened out the last few weeks.
8E883B91-2F40-4E5F-9B5F-1E00E080A531.jpeg

overhead of 1 and 2. 2 is slightly wider than 1.
57442D24-32E3-4FD5-81DE-F61D7E227BA3.jpeg

3. Lays a solid 7 And is noticeably wider than the other 2. She has a slightly longer back than I was expecting From a few weeks ago, but still this huge U.
FA8A00C1-8F53-430A-8FD1-1B4B8B409022.jpeg

D7502CEF-EFAD-4F30-8805-DB7BCC3EF56F.jpeg

Some eggs. The speckled one (#2) is more smooth now.
213FCDD5-317A-4696-83B0-6EA49B52B3A6.jpeg

Updated photos:

1 best overall? Lays an egg that was spotted with almost black flecks. Slightly more oblong egg that is evening out in color now and almost a 7.
View attachment 2255470

2. Lays the darkest egg. Consistently an 8. Her cushioning seems to have flattened out the last few weeks.
View attachment 2255468

overhead of 1 and 2. 2 is slightly wider than 1.
View attachment 2255469

3. Lays a solid 7 And is noticeably wider than the other 2. She has a slightly longer back than I was expecting From a few weeks ago, but still this huge U.
View attachment 2255471

View attachment 2255472

Some eggs. The speckled one (#2) is more smooth now.
View attachment 2255482
From these pictures I like the solid Black hen Best #2. She just needs paired with a well colored rooster to bring out the copper in the offspring. She has beautiful dark eggs! Dark eggs put her in first place for me. First hen in second place. I especially love the dark eggs but you have to love the speckled ones too. Who doesn't love speckled eggs.That's something my line needs some work on. I would like to work on darkening my eggs.

Last edited:
From these pictures I like the solid Black hen Best #2. She just needs paired with a well colored rooster to bring out the copper in the offspring. She has beautiful dark eggs! Dark eggs put her in first place for me. First hen in second place. I especially love the dark eggs but you have to love the speckled ones too. Who doesn't love speckled eggs.That's something my line needs some work on. I would like to work on darkening my eggs.
Thank you! It’s so interesting how much they have changed in a few weeks. We are listing our place and moving whenever we sell, so I’m thinking I am going to need to change plans for how long I would be keeping grow-out birds.

Thank you! It’s so interesting how much they have changed in a few weeks. We are listing our place and moving whenever we sell, so I’m thinking I am going to need to change plans for how long I would be keeping grow-out birds.

move to Australia my friend .large country .less peoples ,great weathers and marans chooks sale for a lot much money here .hahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .
good luck to you finding a good place for your self /family .

chooks man

How do I get this guys comb to shrink down in future offspring?
He has a foot injury right now and limping pretty good.

he is good looking dude .what happen to his feet .is the roost bar too high or he did some thing silly .

comb is Autossome linked .both rooster/hen have some thing to say . dominant genes will show up .
to down size the comb ,the cockerel you have need to be matted to hens with small /correct comb .
his comb is just big but not that bad .so it is a easy fix if you have the right hens .

chooks man

he is good looking dude .what happen to his feet .is the roost bar too high or he did some thing silly .

comb is Autossome linked .both rooster/hen have some thing to say . dominant genes will show up .
to down size the comb ,the cockerel you have need to be matted to hens with small /correct comb .
his comb is just big but not that bad .so it is a easy fix if you have the right hens .

chooks man
I think he did something silly maybe. I have a ladder to get up to roost bars so I don’t think that is the issue. Now he is trying to start mating with the mature hens and they run him off sometimes so maybe that is it.

Back
Top Bottom