International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

1601971528913.png

1601971992797.png

@kfelton0002
this pair will pair well .looking they pedigree and they body type and color .they look very compatible . they will throw very nice progeny .
I will mark this pair as =
1- body pattern and copper quality breeders .
2 - good body type breeders.
3- good head and comb breeders.
4 . body stand breeders .
5 - 75 % good tails breeders .

major faults is most of the chicks will have parasitic white on they feet . I can live with that if they where my breeders .
one fault to watch for not 100 .

any way if Broken wing turn up nice as his sire than Pink Lady will be bred to him not to Dark Angel .
DA will be bred to this year progeny .his and his brother progeny .

chooks man

If I am trying to purchase day olds- is there a way to tell pullet from cockerel? Im sure Chooks man has a way...;) He wants $14 a chick, but with my luck I will pick 5 chicken dinners for $70. I thought I recall something about shape of head. ?

I have just remembered that only cockerels can have horn colour beaks. both males and females can have black beaks.

View attachment 2362056
View attachment 2362057
@kfelton0002
this pair will pair well .looking they pedigree and they body type and color .they look very compatible . they will throw very nice progeny .
I will mark this pair as =
1- body pattern and copper quality breeders .
2 - good body type breeders.
3- good head and comb breeders.
4 . body stand breeders .
5 - 75 % good tails breeders .

major faults is most of the chicks will have parasitic white on they feet . I can live with that if they where my breeders .
one fault to watch for not 100 .

any way if Broken wing turn up nice as his sire than Pink Lady will be bred to him not to Dark Angel .
DA will be bred to this year progeny .his and his brother progeny .

chooks man

That was my thoughts on the pair as well. There will be culls and likely will be white to crop up but I can only focus on improving so much at a time. Thank you for your input! :)

Two marbled eyed pullets with good hackle color. Pullet on the left's sire is Dark Halo, Dam is Malika. Pullet on the right's sire is Dark Angel and Dam is 004. I didn't raise many from 004 because her eggs didn't hatch well. I threw her out early in the season. I think I ended up with 2 chicks from her, a cockerel with terrible golden yellow copper and this pullet. The cockerel was killed by a racoon.

20201006_141343.jpg

What few old Marans I have are in a heavy Molt at present. The young fowl are growing real well but one day I think They are ready for the Chop Block. At present I only have 38 BC Marans left.
I have always been heavy on the culling as they serve no purpose to me. I do not sell to others as all the culls are sold to the Asian market. I start culling day of hatch and time I see something I do not like. The days of raising 800-1000 to pick 100 are over as it is too expensive for me. The only Marans I have had for 6-8 year are BC Marans. I keep no project Marans.

no to worry about black pullets ,this little guy will fix them for sure .no way this little guy will produce black pullets .
love to see him fully grown .
I like your new line .the person you got them from did some home work . great .
question ,all those chicks are sired by one rooster? pen breeding?

chooks man

You’re right, pen breeding. So I’ll have a mix of full siblings and half siblings.

Well no babies to bring home. I think he didn't like that I asked him what faults he has seen in his line??? OR maybe that I live so close to him? Not sure. Anyways.... I did find someone else 2 hours away with beautiful birds who only hatches from 7-9 colour eggs and said he would sell me some in the spring when they start laying again. So I will plan for that.

Gotta have a rooster day over here. Need to get my recently acquired rooster out of isolation and winterize my outdoor coop. Lots to be done. I also need to try out my homemade incubator sometime between now and Jan.... maybe with one of my Maran cockerels over CLB and other blue egg layers. They are still laying here and there. Want to make sure I use it a few times before trying to hatch out those eggs Ill hopefully be buying.

My pullet eggs from this week. Dates above them. Tried to group them into ones that looked most similar. What do you think? I think they are getting darker??

Attachments

• IMG_8549.JPG
    IMG_8549.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Well no babies to bring home. I think he didn't like that I asked him what faults he has seen in his line??? OR maybe that I live so close to him? Not sure. Anyways.... I did find someone else 2 hours away with beautiful birds who only hatches from 7-9 colour eggs and said he would sell me some in the spring when they start laying again. So I will plan for that.

Gotta have a rooster day over here. Need to get my recently acquired rooster out of isolation and winterize my outdoor coop. Lots to be done. I also need to try out my homemade incubator sometime between now and Jan.... maybe with one of my Maran cockerels over CLB and other blue egg layers. They are still laying here and there. Want to make sure I use it a few times before trying to hatch out those eggs Ill hopefully be buying.

My pullet eggs from this week. Dates above them. Tried to group them into ones that looked most similar. What do you think? I think they are getting darker??

The egg color does look to be getting darker in these photos. Shape is nice too.

Back
Top Bottom