International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

The eye colour (too light) and ear lobe (no white allowed) of this cockerel/rooster are faulty.
1609949765658.png

The eye colour (too light) and ear lobe (no white allowed) of this cockerel/rooster are faulty. View attachment 2478263

it looks like some kind of light reflex, not white earlobe. I had noticed it but as hens don't have any white on their earlobes I assumed it must have been the pic.

btw, if you read this thread from the beginning you will see that we are not looking for show birds but for breeders to work with.

I am thinking of getting rid of line #1 all together.

Ive already culled all the cockerels.
The 3 pullets from line #1 all have high tails, marbled eyes, one with an obvious white spot on her shoulder, overfeathered feet, etc etc.

Not sure I want to waste my time breeding them.

Line #2 are much better quality.

Then hatch eggs from this woman and see how they grow out.

Thoughts on this anyone?

agree with you . too much work ,
first get the eggs /hatch them/ etc.................... i think you get some nice marans} plus line #2 for genetic diversity ,you will be fine .

chooks man

it looks like some kind of light reflex, not white earlobe. I had noticed it but as hens don't have any white on their earlobes I assumed it must have been the pic.

btw, if you read this thread from the beginning you will see that we are not looking for show birds but for breeders to work with.

thank you.
chooks man

My 2020 pullets are beginning to all lay. Now to find the one laying those left two...😁 side sprigs or not she goes in the breeder pen this summer. View attachment 2478736

agree with you .breeder all the way .
all the 3 pullets or what ever lay those eggs is priority breeders regardless what fault they have .
middle one is stunning .love the speckled eggs .
bravo
chooks man

International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well, reading the title of this thread lead me to assume that you are aiming to breed to the SOP.

To my knowledge, doing so does not exclude breeding for egg colour too. ;)

1610015073672.jpeg

1610015214792.jpeg

1610015264963.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom