International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

DSCN2932.JPG

One of the Holly x Drumstick girls at a bit over 6 months old. She was very angry in this photo as she was needing to lay and all the nest boxes were taken. She proceeded to spend 30 minutes yelling at me until a box opened up.

great to know . future cockerels will come out of this pairing I think . Georgia s line . they should be chunky with a low tail angle .
I really do like this hen ,

chooks man
I do too.
She is not too social but thats okay.
I used to think she was funny looking. Her body was so big and her head and neck were too small.

She has grown nicely though.

I do too.
She is not too social but thats okay.
I used to think she was funny looking. Her body was so big and her head and neck were too small.

She has grown nicely though.
this is mine

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.31.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.31.15 PM.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.27.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.27.42 PM.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.15.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 7.15.11 PM.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 6.56.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 6.56.27 PM.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 3
BCM chicks should be black with a white (or light gray) throat, belly and lower butt. We sometimes refer to their hatch coloration as “penguin type” because, well, they color should look like a penguin. Some BCM lines produce chicks with white down around their eyes and on their head, neck and back...in our experience this is generally bad because as adults these chicks may express parasitic white or poor color pattern for a BCM. As your chicks grow it’s OK if they have white primary wing feathers or foot feathers as these will normally molt out by their last juvenile molt. With that said, a chick with proper hatch down can express parasitic white as an adult too so there are no guarantees. Males are more likely than not to express parasitic white than females. So, when selecting our future breeders it is more important that the Coq not express any white as he passes his genes to all of his chicks whereas the female passes her genes to her sons.VGood info.
Thank you @kcrandall.
Good info!

BCM chicks should be black with a white (or light gray) throat, belly and lower butt. We sometimes refer to their hatch coloration as “penguin type” because, well, they color should look like a penguin. Some BCM lines produce chicks with white down around their eyes and on their head, neck and back...in our experience this is generally bad because as adults these chicks may express parasitic white or poor color pattern for a BCM. As your chicks grow it’s OK if they have white primary wing feathers or foot feathers as these will normally molt out by their last juvenile molt. With that said, a chick with proper hatch down can express parasitic white as an adult too so there are no guarantees. Males are more likely than not to express parasitic white than females. So, when selecting our future breeders it is more important that the Coq not express any white as he passes his genes to all of his chicks whereas the female passes her genes to her sons.

Autosome genes are passed down to the future generation from both parents ,regulated by the rules of dominance .
Sex linked genes are different ,Mama hen passes her sex lined genes to her sons only .
the Sire will passes his sex linked genes to both his progeny boys and girls .Example /silver cuckoo hen mated to solid black rooster = all the male progeny will be dark cuckoo and all the females progeny will be solid black .
but a silver dark cuckoo { one copy of the cuckoo gene} rooster mated to a solid black hen =50% cuckoo and 50% solid black . boys and girls .
sex linked genes are very complicated .
chooks man

Hi Everyone! I got my very first egg from my Marans pullet today. This first photo was taken in bright light, so in person it looks a little darker. The shape isn't as round as I would like, but we'll see if that changes a bit with successive eggs.

I'm away from the chickens on a working trip to the city, but managed to convince my partner to send me these images :)

60EB6285-52D2-4420-8336-99F70D0B7323.JPG

CDEBEA76-6C01-42E9-A54B-B8EB2815EE3A.JPG

Hi Everyone! I got my very first egg from my Marans pullet today. This first photo was taken in bright light, so in person it looks a little darker. The shape isn't as round as I would like, but we'll see if that changes a bit with successive eggs.

I'm away from the chickens on a working trip to the city, but managed to convince my partner to send me these images :)

View attachment 2521887

View attachment 2521906
Thats a beauty!

BCM chicks should be black with a white (or light gray) throat, belly and lower butt. We sometimes refer to their hatch coloration as “penguin type” because, well, they color should look like a penguin. Some BCM lines produce chicks with white down around their eyes and on their head, neck and back...in our experience this is generally bad because as adults these chicks may express parasitic white or poor color pattern for a BCM. As your chicks grow it’s OK if they have white primary wing feathers or foot feathers as these will normally molt out by their last juvenile molt. With that said, a chick with proper hatch down can express parasitic white as an adult too so there are no guarantees. Males are more likely than not to express parasitic white than females. So, when selecting our future breeders it is more important that the Coq not express any white as he passes his genes to all of his chicks whereas the female passes her genes to her sons.
Okay, thanks for all the information guys!! @Punkybrewster @Chooks man

I had no idea about the hatch down! So thank you for taking the time to explain it!! I appreciate it. ♥️

Okay, thanks for all the information guys!! @Punkybrewster @Chooks man

I had no idea about the hatch down! So thank you for taking the time to explain it!! I appreciate it. ♥️
Questions are always welcomed anytime on this thread, it’s how we learn. It is our shared passion for Marans and breeding to the SOP that drives this thread.

Back
Top Bottom