International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Great- thanks everyone. Just ordered one from a different place- The Marans Club .? Was different than the one I normally see with egg shapes in different colours, this one just has sections of colours, but should do the trick. I am assuming at this point, mine are a 4 or a 3 LOL which means my egg colour won't be on the card yet. LOL

Here are some chicks from my test hatch. They are 15- 30 hrs old.
I am not keeping these. The batch Im keeping is in the incubator now. Day 4.
What do you guys think of the hatch down?

hatch down is great .but they are thinner looking chicks .thin bones .marans chicks should be chunky with thicker legs . did they hatched from a young stock ? cheers
chooks man

Well, I’m getting a little taste of what it is like to live in cold weather. In North Texas we’ve been below freezing for 3 days and have another 6 days to go before we’re forecasted to be above 32 F (0 C). Sunday and Monday we’re supposed to be between 16 F (-8.8 C) and -2 F (-18.8 C). Texas hasn’t seen temperatures this cold since 1899. We’re suppose to get 4-8” of snow on Sunday and another 2-5” on Wednesday.

I have a lot of respect for people that live in this type of weather and colder for weeks and months at a time especially with animals to take care of. Making sure my Marans have plenty feed and warm water fortified with electrolytes and vitamins. They seem to be doing well so far.

Well, I’m getting a little taste of what it is like to live in cold weather. In North Texas we’ve been below freezing for 3 days and have another 6 days to go before we’re forecasted to be above 32 F (0 C). Sunday and Monday we’re supposed to be between 16 F (-8.8 C) and -2 F (-18.8 C). Texas hasn’t seen temperatures this cold since 1899. We’re suppose to get 4-8” of snow on Sunday and another 2-5” on Wednesday.

I have a lot of respect for people that live in this type of weather and colder for weeks and months at a time especially with animals to take care of. Making sure my Marans have plenty feed and warm water fortified with electrolytes and vitamins. They seem to be doing well so far.

that is very cold my friend . I ll take +44 C any days over - 18.8 C . you guys need special strength to deal with that sort of weather .
keep you family ,you animal and your self worm and dry .

chooks man

Thank you so much!! That means a lot! I can post his full picture on here if you want to see him a bit better! I am quite happy with him. I know he has his faults but no bird is perfect and he is a pretty good specimen for my breeding pen! He also came from really nice dark eggs. Here is a photo of him. His name is Sriracha and he is 1.5 years old.

View attachment 2502094
He's stunning!

I add hot pepper and BOSS as well when it is cold.

that is very cold my friend . I ll take +44 C any days over - 18.8 C . you guys need special strength to deal with that sort of weather .
keep you family ,you animal and your self worm and dry .

chooks man

me too! I think I would not survive cold. I lived in england for 2 years. not cold but rains a lot, little sunshine. I ran for life, moved to italy then greece.

I add hot pepper and BOSS as well when it is cold.

Eastern Canada says that you can give us back our winters now. Until this last week it was rainy, warm, muddy and snowless for the most part. We would like our cold temperatures back from where they've been hiding out in Texas :p Possibly the warmest winter on record where we are...

me too! I think I would not survive cold. I lived in england for 2 years. not cold but rains a lot, little sunshine. I ran for life, moved to italy then greece.

Oh dear. England's temperatures are so nice and mild - like where I grew up in B.C. I'm continually envious of my sister's winter photos from Wales and Somerset, where she is working as a veterinarian. Thank goodness myself and my chickens have antifreeze in our veins. :D

Back
Top Bottom