International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

20210905_211926.jpg
20210905_211802.jpg
20210905_211642.jpg
20210905_211546.jpg
20210905_211413.jpg
20210905_211332.jpg
20210831_171226.jpg

I'd like to see Joanie fill out a bit more. Her tail is a little long. The other two have nice short tails and are better filled out. You are right: you should be able to pair Betty with Kong for color, but his comb will still cause problems. It will be a hard row to change the combs with both cock birds and hens having crooked combs. If you spot side sprigs, be sure to cull any chicks that show up with side sprigs. all of the girls have nice feet and feathering. They all have a wobble in their combs for sure, but Betty has the nicest comb of all three. You will have a lot of hatching to do for replacements, but it is all about working with what you have. We will want to see them older, too. They finish growing completely by 18 months, and they often have a bit of a color change after the fall molt.

Thank you very much for your critique. I do appreciate it. I will keep an eye on them. Trying to finish the new coop and get everyone organized. Planning to build breeder pens and runs yet and then hopefully look for a few more better quality birds. Because chicken math......
Where Oh where is Chooks man . Way back 3 or 4 years ago I raised a cock that had a coronation comb. He was my first endeavor in BCM all of the great breeders said cull, cull, cull. This was all on another thread. Then Redbanks started this thread and we meet Chooks man. What we determined was if you cull everything you have no chickens left. That cocks name was Squeek ! Chooks man recommended keeping him because he had alot of other great qualities. If you search this thread you could find HIM. Getting back to YOUR hens Chooks man taught us that the comb is 99% controlled by the hen. You will not correct your cock birds comb with the hens you have. I have been breeding BCM's for awhile and it takes thousands of birds to get a few good ones.

I was hoping the little BC would be a cockerel but she isn't. I was so disappointed when my one rooster was infertile. We culled him. I only have one rooster left. I set these eggs right before my father-in-law had a heart attack. I didn't realize my humidity was too high. All the eggs from my remaining rooster had formed chicks but only 3 made it out. I am still kicking myself but it was a hectic time. So these two blcm are my only hope this year. They are 6 weeks old now. I will be trying to hatch a few more next spring.

Attachments

• 20210910_105302.jpg
    20210910_105302.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210910_105436.jpg
    20210910_105436.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 6
Where Oh where is Chooks man . Way back 3 or 4 years ago I raised a cock that had a coronation comb. He was my first endeavor in BCM all of the great breeders said cull, cull, cull. This was all on another thread. Then Redbanks started this thread and we meet Chooks man. What we determined was if you cull everything you have no chickens left. That cocks name was Squeek ! Chooks man recommended keeping him because he had alot of other great qualities. If you search this thread you could find HIM. Getting back to YOUR hens Chooks man taught us that the comb is 99% controlled by the hen. You will not correct your cock birds comb with the hens you have. I have been breeding BCM's for awhile and it takes thousands of birds to get a few good ones.
Yes, where is Chooks man. I hope he's doing fine. Thanks, Tom. I'm still plucking away at this thread trying to catch up. I don't recall your first cock but I do know you as old man Tom when you first posted. And you have some beautiful birds also. I surely will be looking for a few better hens soon.

Back
Top Bottom