International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello! I have been away from this thread for the better part of a year. I over did the chicken thing until I was damn sick of anything to do with them. LOL. Decided not to hatch this year. Bought 8 Marans chicks (ended up with 3 splash, 1 black copper, 3 blue copper and 1 wheaten ). I needed some new blood. I will post some pics once the fox buggers off ( June) as for now they are locked up in a safe coop.
Has Chooks Man been around????

welcome back! unfortunately no news from chooks man.

My BC rooster apparently was not fertile or he wasn't in with those hens long enough. I didn't check every egg but the ones I checked had nothing in them. I did put 5 eggs from the other pen in the incubator. Just because I really liked her egg. I checked a couple of them and they have chicks starting. I took out both Blc roosters because they hurt two of the hens. So none of my pens have a rooster in with them. I am going to put one in the pen with the three BC hens and try for a couple BC cockerels.

My BC rooster apparently was not fertile or he wasn't in with those hens long enough. I didn't check every egg but the ones I checked had nothing in them. I did put 5 eggs from the other pen in the incubator. Just because I really liked her egg. I checked a couple of them and they have chicks starting. I took out both Blc roosters because they hurt two of the hens. So none of my pens have a rooster in with them. I am going to put one in the pen with the three BC hens and try for a couple BC cockerels.
It is really hard to get it right. I put 30 eggs, Light Bramha, in the incu 1st of March. All the eggs showed fertile spot in yolks, the ones we checked, before we started the incu. Not one egg developed. I checked all of them and all were like fresh eggs. No rings, no blood, no cloudy color. Just, bright yellow yolks. I now have 14 BCM and 24 light Bramha's will put the heat on them tommorrow.

It is really hard to get it right. I put 30 eggs, Light Bramha, in the incu 1st of March. All the eggs showed fertile spot in yolks, the ones we checked, before we started the incu. Not one egg developed. I checked all of them and all were like fresh eggs. No rings, no blood, no cloudy color. Just, bright yellow yolks. I now have 14 BCM and 24 light Bramha's will put the heat on them tommorrow.
I am sorry you are having trouble. I hope the eggs you are getting ready to set have a good hatch. I am so discouraged and mad at myself. My health has been bad so my husband had been doing the feeding and watering most of the winter. I really hadn't been out there much. I had planned on moving one of the roosters out but didn't get it done. So now I have 2 hens scalps healing. I did move one rooster in with the three BC hens. The other rooster is in a pen by himself. I need to watch them closely.

I think cold weather is the reason for infertile eggs. I have been hatching for friends since december and many eggs were infertile (50-60%).
We have had snow the last 4 days and it's almost Easter. Not normal!

Attachments

• 20220414_084851.jpg
    20220414_084851.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom