International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

yeah we got a foot of the white stuff on tuesday with near blizzard conditions. I am just glad for any moisture at this point. I would take another few feet if it helps the hayfields.
Never enough snow pac or rain in Eastern Wash. We have irrigation for garden and hay fields. The summer wildfires have been terrible last 4 years! Would like to have one year without smoke all sumer!

I've not hatched anything so far. Don't have a rooster. :(
Was thinking about looking around for hatching eggs but avian influenza is all around so been putting it off. Not sure what I'll do.

I hope all the real cold weather is behind us, it's been in the 70s and 80s quite a bit. We could still see a light frost but I set seeds in the garden this week for green beans, cucumbers, squash and have peas and cabbage growing. Also started hardening off my seed grown tomatoes and peppers. I'm so ready for the growing season.

@Chooks man has been away a while, hope he's doing well.

Good luck for everyone's hatch!

yeah we got a foot of the white stuff on tuesday with near blizzard conditions. I am just glad for any moisture at this point. I would take another few feet if it helps the hayfields.
They are worried all the apples, pears and cherries where in full bloom. Not only snow and cold but bees couldn't pollinate. Might be really bad they where saying.

I had them in one of my lines. Do you remember?
If I remember right without checking my book, they were only cockerels. No hens expressed it.

I culled only the ones that had it and moved on. So far, It has not bred forward in any of my hatches. But I also bred to another line. I did not breed back into the same one.
Thank you, they have overly feathered feet and I remember Chooks Man writing he stayed away from them because the vulture hocks turned up on overly feathered feet. He liked minimal feathers. So do I really, they look funny on these little chicks. Now when I look back at my previous BCM I feel foolish for having picked them apart. I will follow your lead and seen what happens.

Thank you, they have overly feathered feet and I remember Chooks Man writing he stayed away from them because the vulture hocks turned up on overly feathered feet. He liked minimal feathers. So do I really, they look funny on these little chicks. Now when I look back at my previous BCM I feel foolish for having picked them apart. I will follow your lead and seen what happens.

I have over feathered feet on some of mine too. The rooster I am breeding this year, Seamus, has very, very sparse feathering. He should give a good balance in that respect. My littles from him seem to show that it is working.
The leg feathering is much better on many of them.

It is an area on the Black copper Marans breed that seems to not get much attention. Over feathered legs and feet.

Back
Top Bottom