International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I culled down to

next year's hens (molting) and pullets all housed together.

The 3 new cockerels penned together

Lovesong and Moonshine chicks penned together.

I let them all out to free range for the day but left the 3 cockerels penned.

A loose dog dug under the fence and killed them all.

3 new cockerels are alive because they were penned.

1 pullet from the dark egg hatching group and 1 cockerel from Lovesong (Great Song) showed up the next day.

Words can't explain...
Going out to the chicken village and seeing those great big empty pens makes me sick to my stomach.

My Marans that I've worked for years on.
I think I done lost my mind for a couple of weeks there.

Animal control took the dog.
It was from down the road. The woman is pretty belligerent. I am a peaceful person but considering there were other complaints made about this dog that I didnt know of, we will go to court for this one.

I am heartbroken.
I'm so sorry, Punky. Definitely understand your pain, we're the ones doing the day to day cleaning and chores, feeding and watering, building pens to keep them safe. Looking after their illnesses, bumps and bruises. Standing out in the open staring at the sky when a hawk is hovering.
Just being out there everyday all day watching them and taking pics. Knowing each bird personally.
This would be so devasting and I would be beyond pi$$ed off.
I hope you can get some justice from this but I know it won't cure the heartache....

St
3 cockerels.

Blue band is your favorite @chooksman. I don't like his copper though. Nice type. He is smallest of the 3

Orange band is huge. He has the nicest copper. Overcolored chest.

Green band, don't like his color, nicest comb?

View attachment 3670146View attachment 3670147View attachment 3670148View attachment 3670149View attachment 3670150View attachment 3670152View attachment 3670156View attachment 3670157View attachment 3670162View attachment 3670163View attachment 3670166View attachment 3670167
Stunning boys !! ♥️

@Punkybrewster

I don't know what to say. I am so very very sorry you have to deal with this. That's a tough situation. My eyes teared reading your post and my heart breaks for you.

I am not a vengeful person but what is right is right. I would most certainly follow up for damages. Not just the birds but any other damage the dog did such a fencing, etc. I would also make sure it is mentioned these were breeders not just for the table or eggs. They were a source of income. Now all that must start over.

About the dog, if they picked it up she will have to probably pay a fee to get it back. That's how it happens here. 2nd time is a fine and the fee. Sometimes people don't go and get them. That is sad for the dogs.

I am out in the country. We have no leash laws here but you are expected to keep your animals on your own property or they can be picked up. I have had hogs, lambs, goats, turkeys, ducks, lots of dogs and cats show up here. We've been here for over 30 yrs. There has only been 1 dog I wanted to shoot. He tried to bite me.

It is not the animals fault. It is the owner's fault. I really dislike people who do not take care of their animals. It is cruel to let a dog run at large.

Do you know any of the people who also complained about this dog? Maybe you can talk with them to build a better case.

Once that is all behind you, move forward. You know what you have. And you have chicks! A pullet hatched from a dark egg! Some boys! And you have way more knowledge this time! It will be even better than before! I know it will! :yesss:

Hey....we will want pics of these babies growing up, the egg when the pullet starts to lay, etc. ❤️
I agree with this. ♥️♥️

that way in my last place I fenced 3 acres out of the 5 and put 4 dogs in it ,all the chooks pens where inside so I left a way clear all around the pens so the dogs could go any where they want without been stopped by chooks pens .last year my dog killed 2 foxes .the foxes went in by they never come out ,they lost they life ,
it is hard to keep chooks around peoples .I m trying to find a place miles away from all human and they animal .I can deal with wild animal are productable ,
chooks man
I would rather deal with wild animals. They kill one at a time to eat.
Peoples dogs kill all of them at once for fun.

that way in my last place I fenced 3 acres out of the 5 and put 4 dogs in it ,all the chooks pens where inside so I left a way clear all around the pens so the dogs could go any where they want without been stopped by chooks pens .last year my dog killed 2 foxes .the foxes went in by they never come out ,they lost they life ,
it is hard to keep chooks around peoples .I m trying to find a place miles away from all human and they animal .I can deal with wild animal are productable ,
chooks man
I would have a farm dog in the chicken village but we travel a lot right now. Their pens were built to allow them to stay penned up while we are gone. We have someone tend to them.

A dog in there would add another layer of complication. We will in the future though.

Back
Top Bottom